turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

fg10950

We have a 1099-R distribution, and TurboTax is asking if it was for a qualified disaster. It's not, so I selected "No," but now it's asking what kind of disaster it was?

Lol I tried to post the number

We have a 1099-R distribution, and TurboTax is asking if it was for a qualified disaster. It's not, so I selected "No," but now it's asking what kind of disaster it was?

The 8915 will NOT be created if you choose No you don't have a disaster, leave the option blank then do NOT check the box to pay.....I have the same issue and I just efiled with no issue whatsover, no 8915 in my return and no indication that I have a disaster.

My return has been accepted and is perfectly fine. 🙂

18004INTUIT is their phone number. I called to be sure. Spoke with a CPA and they took me through the forms to ensure there was no indications that my return was showing disaster.

You didn't update; TurboTax claims to have fixed this.
ccobb720

The issue has been corrected. Selecting No works. It no longer takes you through the other qualified disaster distribution questions.
kenelk78

This is STILL an issue as of last night when I attempted to file my 2019 taxes. I am currently searching for competing products because the message on TurboTax told me that I could be subject to a 50% disaster tax if I answer incorrectly. This is UNACCEPTABLE. This should have been solved before the 2019 tax year began as I'm sure MANY customers will be confused and turn to other products/services. Disappointed.

This is RIDICULOUS.  I am getting the exact same thing, and it's JUNE of 2020....GET IT TOGETHER!!!

@letfreedomring123 wrote:

This is RIDICULOUS.  I am getting the exact same thing, and it's JUNE of 2020....GET IT TOGETHER!!!

Just answer No for a 2016 and 2017 Qualified Disaster Distribution if it does not apply.  Then click on Continue where asked if you repaid any 2016 and 2017 Hurricane Distribution in 2019 if it does not apply.

Uh.....NO, it STILL stalls there in June of 2020!!!!

Thanks so much for the suggestion, but I did that and keep being taken back to that section to review at the end of filling everything else in, and that is the ONLY thing there that could be snagging my finishing.  Maddening...

@letfreedomring123 wrote:

Thanks so much for the suggestion, but I did that and keep being taken back to that section to review at the end of filling everything else in, and that is the ONLY thing there that could be snagging my finishing.  Maddening...

What TurboTax software are you using? 

The TurboTax online web-based editions?  Or the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer?  If the desktop editions, which Operating System, Windows or Mac?

IRS free edition Mac High Sierra 10.13.6  I don't know if I got past it or not, or just around it, but I finished. I didn't owe or get a refund, so doesn't affect me except for the aggravation and time consumption, but  this needs to be fixed...how to they let this go on and on without fixing?? Also, the help popups sometimes worked, and sometimes refused to open or popup, randomly, so that was another aggravation. I will choose a different free option next year because this is no way to do one's taxes.   Thanks so much for your suggestions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies