turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sit60s

Turbotax did not ask me to enter social security info this year so i filed without claiming SSI. I now believe this is an error on TurboTax. How do I correct it?

My wife and I received SSI this year and have SSA-1099s but TurboTax never prompted me to enter the information. I filed thinking the tax law had changed but now believe TurboTax screwed up. How can I fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Turbotax did not ask me to enter social security info this year so i filed without claiming SSI. I now believe this is an error on TurboTax. How do I correct it?

Did you already e-file without entering the SSA1099's?    You were supposed to enter them here:

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

BUT-----

You cannot amend a tax return that was just accepted.   You have to wait for it to be processed by the IRS.  Trying to send in an amended return while they are still processing the original return could confuse things and delay your refund for months.

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The 2020 Form 1040X does not become available until the end of February 2020 (subject to change).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Where do I get the 1040X form?? thanks

Are you guys going to help me on this??

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To report your SSI benefits for 2020, you will need to amend your 2020 return to file the 1040X. Right now, you won't be able to amend your return until mid-to- late march.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Gerald Swanson   This is not a chat line.  This is a public message board.  You have to be patient and wait for someone to reply.

You cannot cancel or change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

In these cases, IRS knows about your SS and SSI benefits.

They will adjust your return and send you a bill if you owe more tax.

WAIT.

mr207

The same thing happened with me and my return.  It skipped this entire section, I didn't realize it and now I've e-filed without entering my 401k withdrawal. 

To be clear, it didn't just skip Retirement Plans and Social Security.  It skipped the entire Income section.  How does a bug like this make it into this program?

I'll never use Turbotax again.  It isn't like this is a cheap program, and now I have to potentially deal with amending my return because of this?  Unbelievable. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If your return has been accepted by the IRS as it was filed, then take a look at the following TurboTax help article for instructions about how to amend your return to add unreported income:

How do I amend my 2021 return?

Otherwise, if it is rejected for some reason, enter the unreported income before you resubmit your return.

@mr207

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just to clarify:  SSI means Supplemental Security Income, which is not reported and not taxable.  However, this thread is talking about regular Social Security and/or SSDI.

sp861

Turbotax did the same thing to me.  I really counted on them to be correct.

I was never asked about my SSA-1099 benefits. So I am livid and what should have been an easy task

has become unbelievably complicated.   Shame on you Turbotax for giving me a headache.

I have no idea what to do now.

@sp861 

Well---when you got your tax documents ready to prepare your tax return, did you have your SSA1099 among them?   You did know you had that, right?   You are supposed to check over your tax return before you file it.  If you did not include your SSA1099, wait for the return to be fully processed and then you will need to amend.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies