Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rookie47

The box numbers on my 1099-R from my state pension do not match the Turbotax box numbers. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Specifically, my 1099 stops at box 13, but Turbotax asks for info in boxes 14-16. For example, it wants my state tax withholding reported in box 14, but it is actually in box 12 (which doesn't exist on the Turbotax form).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MS1957

The box numbers on my 1099-R from my state pension do not match the Turbotax box numbers. Anyone else have a similar issue?

I am experiencing the same problem and had hoped that Turbo Tax would have responded to this question.  I'll be checking back to see if there are any updates.

@Rookie47   @MS1957    

.............several retirement systems/issuers have released 1099-R forms with improperly labelled boxes at #'s 12 and higher for 2020.  (TurboTax's numbering is correct)

For 2020, The IRS changed the box # labelling for boxes 12 and higher.   The former 12,13,14 are now supposed to be boxes 14,15,16 respectively.   So either use that info to put your data in the proper boxes....or just carefully match the subject text on each box before transferring the data it contains to the TTX form.

Then call the issuer, and ask them if they are aware of the issue, and if they are going to correct their forms or not...they do need to get lots of complaints, so they get on the ball and  get it right next year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
clcunningham57
Returning Member

I am having the same problem

My 2021 1099-R is not matching

example:  it put my insurance premiums in the Total Employee Contributions

Did you see SteamTrains answer above?  They must have used an old form.  Put the amounts in the right box on the screen.  Or maybe you picked the wrong kind of 1099R you have?  

example:  it put my insurance premiums in the Total Employee Contributions

Yes?  They both go in box 5.   Doesn't your box s5 say both descriptions?  See

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r_21.pdf 

clcunningham57
Returning Member

no they don't both go in box 5.

one is my insurance premium and the other is the contributions I made to the my retirement during my career

clcunningham57
Returning Member

the attached link sample does not match the 1099-r that I received from OPM

This is the problem!! they are not matching up

Oh I see there is also box 9b for employee contributions.  Is that on your form?  Wonder why there are 2 boxes for it?   Are both boxes 5 and 9b on your form and on the screen?  So what box is wrong?  If you think your form is wrong then ask the plan.  

Oh..you didn't say it was a CSA-1099-R....you need to be specific and not just call it a 1099-R.

Yes...As long as yoru Ins Premiums are in box 5, you put them there...BUT you have to be sure you are using  the CSA-1099-R form in the software.  In the desktop software, it looks like the following:

OPM_1099R.png

Then...on a later page, the software asks you to confirm that the box 5 amount was all for Health Ins premiums...and if not, indicate the sub-part that was for Health insurance.

In the backup "worksheet" that TTX uses (Forms Mode Only), it will move the box 5 and box 9b amounts from the CSA- form to different spots it needs to do proper calculations...but that's only on the "worksheet" and not on the interview form .

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies