Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vsunseri

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I just got my 1099-R form in the mail last night, but I already filed, what do I do to correct this mistake?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

First, wait to see if your return has been accepted by the IRS.  If it is rejected, you can make your corrections before re-submitting.

If your return has been accepted, you'll need to amend the return.  Please wait to amend until your original return has completely "cleared" the IRS system, and any refund due has been received.

Additionally, an amended return cannot be efiled.  It must be printed and mailed.  See the instructions below for instructions to amend.  Please follow the instructions carefully.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2589210-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-2014-return-in-turbotax

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I am in this same situation. I had no idea that I had any other income. Will this omission affect my refund as it is? I am aware that I will have to file an amendment, but should I still receive my refund as scheduled? Once I receive my refund I am understanding that is when I will file my amendment correct? This whole situation is new and confuses me. I would like to actually have someone to discuss this with, but all that seems to be available is the forum.
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

First, wait to see if your return has been accepted by the IRS.  If it is rejected, you can make your corrections before re-submitting.

If your return has been accepted, you'll need to amend the return.  Please wait to amend until your original return has completely "cleared" the IRS system, and any refund due has been received.

Additionally, an amended return cannot be efiled.  It must be printed and mailed.  See the instructions below for instructions to amend.  Please follow the instructions carefully.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2589210-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-2014-return-in-turbotax

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Forgot my 1099-R Form

What do I do if I have been excepted but have to pay taxes?
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

rdbreazile:  Form 1040-X (amended return)  won't be available through TurboTax until mid-February.   I'd probably give it a couple of weeks past that (say end of February or first of March, but still way ahead of filing deadline) before submitting your amended return.  Remember, you must mail your amended return.  By the way, I'd also suggest mailing your return via certified mail so that you have a record of when the IRS received the return (just to cover yourself).

Forgot my 1099-R Form

You'll have to file an amended return once your initial return has completed processing.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Charlesmhorton:  You should still receive your refund as expected from your original return.  After that, you can prepare your 1040-X, the form for the amended return.  Once you've prepared your amended return, you'll see if you owe additional tax or receive additional refund.  (This will depend on the income/withholdings, etc. on your additional tax document).
If you'd like to contact TurboTax Customer Support by phone, navigate the link below.  You'll have to enter a little info first (necessary to connect you to the right assistant), then proceed until you see the option to "Call".  During business hours (currently 5AM to 9PM, Pacific time, daily), you'll see a telephone number displayed.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
eakesler

Forgot my 1099-R Form

When you say we will receive our refund as expected will it be the entire amount or will the irs correct the return for me? Possibly therfore reducing the amount I was to receive.
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

eakesler:  Unless something else is different in your case (say, you have a federal offset), you should receive the refund that your original return calculated.  You'll THEN need to complete your Amended Return to include the 1099-R that you failed to report.  The IRS has a copy of that tax document, so they are aware that you have received retirement income.
Your 1040-X (Amended return) will calculate what is now owed to the IRS, or if you are to receive an additional refund (based on the information on your 1099-R, and your entire tax situation).
eakesler

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Thank you Kat!
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

My pleasure!

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I posted another question in regards to this situation, but I will ask here as well. I never received the distribution from 2014. I called a week ago, and they are going to issue a stop payment on the check since it was never cashed and I never got it. They are going to reissue the check. Am I still responsible for the taxes that came out of it? Will it be possible to have to pay taxes twice on the same amount? since I am getting the reissue in 2015?
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Charlesmhorton:  You received a 2014 1099-R, but never received the distribution check, correct?  You will definitely not have to pay taxes twice on the same amount.
I would think that the administrator of your account will re-issue your check with the same date on it that the original contained (or at least a 2014 date).  Even though you are receiving it during 2015, I would expect that your 2014 1099-R will still be the document you need to report this income.  It would get very complicated (due to the RMD rules) to change a 1099-R, etc. because a check was lost in the mail.
But your best bet is to contact the administrator again to see how this will be handled on their end.  The simplest way would be for them to just issue you a replacement check with the same date on it.  Then you can complete your taxes just like you always would.
Please post back if you have further questions.
Fatherkardo17
Returning Member

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Hello my boyfriend filed his taxes on the 16th. Simple return with one job and four dependents. However today he received a 1099r in the mail from some money hey got after his mom passed away last year. Has anything changed since this post? Should he wait until he gets his refund to amend or will they hold his refund until he does it? I’m getting a lot mixed answers and we just wanna do what’s best. He shouldn’t owe any money he should get more because of the 1099.

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Yes you need to wait.  Did he actually file?

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return after they open on Jan 27.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.  If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

How to amend an Online return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies