Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

renenunes1
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is the 1099-G? and what do I do if i have not received one?

did I fill out a 1099g form when I filed my taxes

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is the 1099-G? and what do I do if i have not received one?

Did you get a 1099G for something like unemployment?  Unemployment compensation will be on Schedule 1 line 7.  The 10,200 exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

what do I do if i have lost the original 1099g Massachusetts pua compensation in a fire how to request replacement for year 2020?? Should I call the IRS or is there either a mailed version or a faster online printable version. Also how much does it cost? I was told to call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. I hope I do not miss the deadline for the tax credits I believe I only have till December 31st I'm really worried.

Thank you and happy holidays,

Sincerely Samantha Paige

You have to contact Massachusetts state not the IRS to get another copy of your 1099G.  You might be able to log into the state website to get it.  

How to contract your state
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

I didn't receive acopy of my 1099g form for reporting my unemployment wages from the state of Florida.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Florida doesn't mail 1099-G forms.  You have to log in to your re-employment assistance account.

Here is the Florida guidance on 1099-G forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The same thing is happening to my mom and I for 2021, what should we do if we got unemployment benefits for 2021 but no 1099G form??  We are getting Anxious, please answer, thanks. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

To clarify your question, which state paid the unemployment to you and your mom?

Oregon

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Oregon says it mails out 1099-Gs and advises that you can view your form in  the Online Claims System in the tab titled “1099G Tax forms” toward the bottom of the page @hobb71.

There are two reasons why you may not have received a 1099G:

1. If you moved without updating your address, your 1099G was sent to your old address.

2. If all of your benefit payments were made after Dec. 31, 2021, you won’t get a 1099G for the 2021 tax year. Instead, you’ll get a 1099G for the 2022 tax year.

If you did not receive your 1099G in the mail, you can find it in the Online Claim System.

For more info see 1099G Tax Information.

We got our payments before dec. 31, 2021 and we checked the online claim system, all they have there is the 1099G form for 2020, now what?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you received unemployment in 2021 and there is no 1099-G for 2021 in the Online Claim System, it is best to use the State of Oregon's Contact Us form to figure out why a 1099-G was not issued to you. The State of Oregon will be able to remedy this situation for you. 

Once you get your 1099-G, please follow the instructions below to enter your unemployment:

1. Open or continue your tax return.
  2. Search for 1099-G and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2021? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.

@hobb71

hanselramirez001
Returning Member

How do I know if my unemployment payments were state or employer funded? When I applied, I had them take out taxes before payments were submitted to me. When I reached out to unemployment in NY, they said I don't have a 1099-G form even though I received unemployment in 2021. How do I file taxes?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@hanselramirez001  If New York State did not pay you your unemployment then you need to figure out who did.  Are you sure that you received payments in 2021 instead of 2020?  You should also contact your employer to see if they paid you.  It would be unusual if they did, though.  Did you do any work in another state and possibly apply for unemployment there?  

hanselramirez001
Returning Member

Yes, I received unemployment from January 2021 through July 2021. I also received the additional pandemic unemployment benefits. I lost my job at the beginning of the pandemic. All work was done in NY. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies