Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being asked to activate Turbo Tax after I have already completed my return and received my refund? I no longer have the code. Need help unlocking MY copy of TT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Why am I being asked to activate Turbo Tax after I have already completed my return and received my refund? I no longer have the code. Need help unlocking MY copy of TT.

Since you mention a license code, I presume you are using desktop TurboTax (CD/download).    Underneath your question above it says "Online TurboTax."

If you are using desktop software, are you launching your software, and TurboTax is asking you to activate with the license code again?     If so, below I've mentioned a common cause for that and how to correct.  It may be related to a USB or SD device you're using.

"I no longer have the code"
We might be able to tell you how to get it, but we don't know if you purchased a CD or a download, and we don't know who you purchased it from.   You may not need it right now if the info below solves your reactivation issue.

If TurboTax software is asking you to reactivate, here's a possible cause:

It can often be due to a USB drive or device that has changed since you installed TurboTax, such as a thumb drive, other external drive, USB printer, etc.

If you have a USB drive/device plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then unplug (or turn off) the USB drive/device, and then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.    Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB drive/device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug that USB drive/device back in and try.

It can work both ways depending on what the system config was like at initial activation.

That happened to me one day when I forgot I had a USB thumb drive plugged in.  TurboTax asked me to reactivate, but once I removed the thumb drive, TurboTax launched normally.

Another user reported it can also happen if one inserts one of those tiny SD memory cards after activation, or the other way around if there was one inserted at the time of initial activation.

Thanks for the quick response - really appreciate it. This was a desktop download purchased from Best Buy. I am not aware of any PC plug-ins that have changed but will consider. Crazy - I have been a TT user for over 20 years and have NEVER had to reactivate the program.

I assume at some point if I am unable to fix the problem that Intuit will unlock it for me. I can certainly document that it was previously activated and used to prepare three returns - one of which I may need to refile.

These suggestions didn't help, but luckily I was able to get Best Buy to resend my original activation email. Lesson learned - always keep the activation code.

If the Turbo Tax software design is the way it is described here (IE: with some type of dependencies with your system attached USB device inter alia) then do not buy Turbo Tax software anymore... ever! 

kenheyden

This type of activation is insane and I also will look at another program, this company is beyond paranoid, even Microsoft activation does not look if the USB key was inserted at the time of install.

Unfortunately, even the older TurboTax desktop installs are now requiring constant re-activation as well.  A major PITA. I discovered this when firing up 2019 TurboTax (which is installed on a different PC) to check something. 

Got the same problem as I needed to use TT2019 to get some info. This will be my last Turbo Tax..

TurboTax is probably one of the worst software license that exists out there. You already paid for the software and registered your license and yet they want you to pay for another license again when comes a time you want to load the software again. Piece of trash. 

@ Gnart wrote:

Got the same problem as I needed to use TT2019 to get some info. This will be my last Turbo Tax..

And @ reygcarolina 

TT2019 was the first product that required a license activation code.   If you need help getting a license code, phone TurboTax Support for assistance as indicated below.   If necessary, or if you want to provide feedback/complain to higher-ups, I will also tell you how to email Intuit Corporate about their license code mechanism.   Various license code-related problems are some of the more common issues people seek help with in the forum.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you want to contact the Intuit Corporate office, you can go to the page below. Just below the page's large title, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link with an arrow.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

I've been on the phone with TT for over an hour now.  Good luck with calling them and trying to get help.  Their automated system first said it was going to email me a response.  1 hr. later, still no email (yes I checked my spam folder.)  The human who answered the phone next still has been absolutely unable to help.  I was asked for my name, email address (twice), confirmed what product I was trying to open, and still ABSOLUTELY NO HELP.  He's supposedly escalated the issue to his supervisor, but still nothing.  The latest question was "where did I purchase it from."  When I said maybe Costco or Amazon (I forgot which), he said if it was Amazon, I'd have to contact them.  I said it was probably Costco.  Then he said "ohhh, let me get back to you."  And remember, the TT page that's supposed to help with this says to call this phone number for help!

And it gets "better"!  The Intuit account is under my name.  The program was registered under my user ID/email address.  But they've been sending their emails to my daughter's address (I also filed a return for her using my copy of TT.)  Which is why I haven't been receiving anything!  I NEVER gave them her email address during this call, but they finally (after over an hour) realized that the address they were sending things to was NOT the address I gave them over the phone (twice.)  The guy even said basically that I'd have to work with my daughter to start this entire process over again!!!  That's when I explained to him that the program was registered under me.  It even says so in my online Intuit account!

So the call ended with the guy telling me he was sending a link, etc. to download TT for TY2022.  He asked for my email address again, and confirmed that it was correct.  He said it might take a few minutes to arrive.  That was 1/2 hr. ago.  NOTHING EVER ARRIVED.  Thanks to Intuit and TurboTax for wasting over 1 1/2 hrs. of my time.

@Asnman  

Sorry you're having so much trouble.  If you want to elevate your complaints to the office of the Intuit President, who will refer it to the proper team, you can use this form at the link below.  Indicate when asked that you've already tried to get help from Customer Support.  

Submit Inquiry to Intuit Office of the President 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies