turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomato543

I can't seem to find the EIN for Social Security Administration

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

That is because Social Security Administration does not have one.  The EIN is usually for employers. It sounds that you are in the wrong section of data entry. Please follow steps below to enter social security benefits:

1. Click on Federal Taxes
  2. Click on Wages and Income
  3. Scroll down to the Retirement Plans and Social Security
  4. Select Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1009)

View solution in original post

59 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

That is because Social Security Administration does not have one.  The EIN is usually for employers. It sounds that you are in the wrong section of data entry. Please follow steps below to enter social security benefits:

1. Click on Federal Taxes
  2. Click on Wages and Income
  3. Scroll down to the Retirement Plans and Social Security
  4. Select Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1009)
Dan4679

I used form SSA-1099 and when I run the federal review it is asking for additional information like the payer's federal ID number and address.
Dan4679

I had started to enter my social security benefits under the retirement income section as a 1099-R. This is wrong. Follow the instructions in the answer to enter the information from your SSA-1099. If you started a 1099-R for your social security benefit just delete it.
UAlgaba

Sorry, but I did that and went back to make sure I had correctly selected that option, yet, when TurboTax reviews the data, it prompts to correct it. I entered SSA-1099, plain, but it seems a flaw that prompts as it was 1099-R! I'm asked to enter information related, such as "Payer's name, street address, etc. I'm starting to get frustrated with TurboTax.

UAlgaba

It happens to me too. I believe it's a software flaw. I hope TurboTax fix it ASAP.

@UAlgaba wrote:

Sorry, but I did that and went back to make sure I had correctly selected that option, yet, when TurboTax reviews the data, it prompts to correct it. I entered SSA-1099, plain, but it seems a flaw that prompts as it was 1099-R! I'm asked to enter information related, such as "Payer's name, street address, etc. I'm starting to get frustrated with TurboTax.

See if there is a Form 1099-R listed for your tax return and if there is a form, delete it.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen.

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

UAlgaba

I don't have that option after clicking the Tool tab on the upper left, but I clicked on the Forms tab on the upper right, next to Flags, then selected the form 1099-R, following a click on Delete form button but it says form can't be deleted. I deselected the "1099-R" box instead and it seems to work when I rerun the smart check. How come it appeared that form? I triple checked the Federal Tax section and made sure it was SSA-1099.  Thanks anyway!

@UAlgaba wrote:

I don't have that option after clicking the Tool tab on the upper left, but I clicked on the Forms tab on the upper right, next to Flags, then selected the form 1099-R, following a click on Delete form button but it says form can't be deleted. I deselected the "1099-R" box instead and it seems to work when I rerun the smart check. How come it appeared that form? I triple checked the Federal Tax section and made sure it was SSA-1099.  Thanks anyway!

Since we have no way to know which TurboTax edition you are using, the procedure given was for the online editions which are used by about 80% of all TurboTax users.

Nice to see that you got it corrected using Forms mode on the desktop edition.

Mamaconsi

This is absolutely ridiculous and I can’t get any help! I am on disability and there is no EIN number. Went thru the steps stated but does not work and brings me back to putting in the EIN number!
Can someone please help?!?!

Mamaconsi

I did this and it is not working. Keeps reverting me back! I think there is a problem with this system!

lydclrk1

Try using one of the companies that the IRS recommends for free tax preparation online.  They are already set up to work with people on disability benefits / SSA  / RRA / SSI - etc..  we ended up using online taxes .com and it worked like a charm!  No more trying to figure out how to use a system that is not set up for it in the first place.

Online taxes also filed our federal information for the stimulus check.  You have until midnight 5.4.20

Hope that helps, good luck. 

I have the W2 transcript I received from IRS to process my back taxes because Iost my W2s for 2016. They sent redacted info regarding my Social Security Benefits statement and it shows the  SSA-1099 Federal Identification Number (FIN) NOT EIN as xxxx4813. No one can seem to get me the full number. I even googled  it. How do I obtain FIN for Social Security Administration. Apparently they have one because the IRS has the last 4 shown on the W2 transcript. Can anyone help

@lucie69nelson Not quite sure what you are trying to do.  You do not enter an EIN for a SSA1099 that you received from Social Security.   If you are trying to enter it in the W-2 section you are in the wrong place.

If you are using the software you just go to the screen to enter a SSA1099:

Do not try to enter your SSA1099  or RR1099RB as a W-2.  Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@lucie69nelson Are you trying to prepare a 2016 tax return?  Are you using the downloaded desktop software for 2016?  You cannot use online TurboTax--online is only for a 2019 return.

Your 2016 return cannot be e-filed--it must be printed signed and mailed.  And be aware that even if it shows a refund, you will not receive the refund--it is too late--the refund has been forfeited now.  If you owe tax due, you will owe with interest and penalties which the IRS will calculate.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2016, 2017 and 2018 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2016, 2017, or 2018 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies