Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Getting msg saying "we are updating how sep and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the irs check back later" help plz?

I uploaded my tax return to TT and I got thru with everything until this. Where it is also saying for me to fix my return. It won't let me change anything because it was uploaded amd not manually put in. I'm hoping this issue gets fixed because I already put in a date to pay my taxes owed also. 

Getting msg saying "we are updating how sep and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the irs check back later" help plz?

That answer completely misses the point.  I paid for a service (discounted price or not) and then after paying that service was withheld for an indeterminant time frame.  This is a poor / borderline unethical business practice.  Customers should have been made aware of TurboTax's inability to file the return before payment was accepted.  Attempting to spin it as a positive, since prices go up next month, instead of acknowledging the error is a poor customer service technique.  We paid an agreed upon price for an agreed upon service.  TurboTax received their compensation, but customers did not receive the agreed upon service.   It really is that simple.              

@david tillett 

Especially considering that TT is the only tax filing system that does NOT have their stuff updated. 

I can only imagine how many customers they are going to lose this year over this. People can go to H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, Tax Giant, etc. & file their taxes no problem. 

Luckily, I normally pay with my refund so I wasnt charged anything yet. However, for those of you that were I strongly recommend you get a refund & go to another tax prep company considering they dont even have an ETA on when it will be fixed. Its a shame! 

They wait until the week before tax season starts to update their system. Meanwhile, there are people that depend on this money around this time of year. What do they care though because they are still getting paid. 

So now that we are past the date of January 29th (first open day for filing) - what does TurboTax/Intuit plan for getting this resolved.

So many people upset that they are putting out a product that is not functionable at the time of use.  Class action lawsuit?

Is there any estimation on when this will be fixed? Filing early means getting my return early which affects my budgeting.  It would be nice to have an idea of the fix date 

Hello, any updates? Its 1/30/24 today.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax programmers are currently implementing some recent IRS changes for reporting SEP and SIMPLE plan contributions. While there isn't an estimated date when the changes will be done, you can test this by editing your W-2 every 5-7 days to check on the status. 

On January 8, 2024, the IRS released a notice describing many changes required to implement the Secure Act 2.0. If you try to enter Code S for Box 12 of your W-2, you may see this message: "We're updating how SEP and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the IRS." 

Section 601 of the Secure Act 2.0 refers specifically to Simple and SEP Roth IRAs. Code S in box 12 defines how to handle a SIMPLE plan. 

These last-minute IRS (and law) changes often cause implementation delays for TurboTax and other tax processors.  

Please be patient while TurboTax works to understand all the ramifications of this IRS Notice then code and test the changes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Trisha23

Any way to get a refund so I can file with someone else?

Like everyone else here, I also agree we should have been notified before paying of this error. I understand you guys are trying to defend it by saying we are locked in for a lower rate, but we could have filed our taxes earlier elsewhere and not had to wait, if you really want to make this rite, why don't you refund everyone whose having to wait and file their taxes anyway? Admit you make a mistake and move on?

I would also like to add, regardless of the irs not accepting returns until the 29th as i've seen posted here, I file a basic return every year, I file the return around the 10th-14th, my return is usually in my bank account before everyone tells me the irs is accepting returns, so early filers who file basic returns, do in fact get accepted before the irs actually states they accept returns. If you don't believe me, check my history on here, i've been using turbotax for roughly 10 years or more. 

I got a call today from a Cx having the same problem of not being able to file because of this restriction. So, to date this is an ongoing issue.

Ok, I went through last years bank statements, my refund was in my account on the 30th last year.

deam8092

Me too. Went all the way through, could not understand that issue and NOW I can't file electronically because of this issue on January 30th. I would have made other arrangements to file if I'd know this!

deam8092

This is Tuesday (1/30) of "next week" and I still cannot file electronically, although I already paid to do so. 

• Who did you end up using because I'm moving on as well? Used them for so so many years I hate switching, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies