Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Getting msg saying "we are updating how sep and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the irs check back later" help plz?

I'm giving this until tomorrow then I'm taking my business elsewhere. 

Getting msg saying "we are updating how sep and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the irs check back later" help plz?

You keep posting this, but you're not giving any real answers.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

I suspect that you will have to wait for TurboTax to be updated. On January 8, 2024 (i.e., just three weeks ago) the IRS released a notice describing many changes required to implement the Secure Act 2.0 - I believe that this is what "We're updating how SEP and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the IRS." is referring to. This is when you enter "S" in box 12 on your W-2.

Indeed, Section 601 of the Secure Act 2.0 refers specifically to Simple and SEP Roth IRAs. Code S in box 12 refers to how to handle a SIMPLE plan.

These last minute IRS (and law) changes inescapably cause delays on the part of TurboTax.

It will take time for TurboTax to understand all the ramifications of this IRS Notice and then code and test the changes. By 'test the changes", I mean not only test but also regression test to make sure that other stuff wasn't broken in the process.

Some mentioned above that "TurboTax had all year to prepare for this", and that is simply not true. The Notice - which contained dozens of tax law changes above and beyond the code S issue that has stopped returns from being filed - was released on January 8th. Of this year.

TurboTax takes pride in the accuracy of its calculations, and a slapdash approach to last minute changes won't do anyone any good.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Trisha23 

Go with H&R Block. 
I’ve used them a few times & heard people were filing their taxes just fine there 

I’ve heard people had no issues with H&R Block. 

So annoyed. Requested a refund of the charge so I could file for free elsewhere (taxact) and was denied by TurboTax. So now I have no choice but to wait for them to "get updated information"

I was able to get past all the reviews and checks and could've e-filed tonight if I would've been refunded from TurboTax. 

The first rep I chatted with told me I could not get a refund because im paying for the services and it could still be mailed in even if it couldn't be efiled right away. I told him that's ridiculous as the reason I cannot efile is on them and not me. I asked to speak with a higher up and refund processed. Efiled through H&R Block through their app. No problems. 

Jma14112

I just made a quick username to thank you for this !! It went through and finally worked for me when I updated that. Wanted to leave this comment incase it was helpful or seen by anyone else to know that it worked 🙂

dmbirch66

How long before you get this update fixed it, you mentioned before Jan 29th, it is now the 31st. This is the first time turbotax has disappointed me. I am still getting the error message in regards to the updated simple plan. 

nbm07

When will this be fixed???  It's January 31st and I still can't file my return

It's now January 30th and there is still no resolution?  Should I just file my taxes someplace else? Can you give us a estimated time when this issue will be fixed?  I check back everyday - and have been for over a week. Very frustrating. 

It's great that you're updating and you said you can't file until the 29th of January well it's now the 31st and it's still not fixed and I already paid you so I can't do anything from here but wait. Does TurboTax plan on sending out a message stating that it's fixed or do I need to keep coming on here everyday and trying to file and have it tell me I can't?

When will this be fixed 

This is wild…..TurboTax about to lose a lot of customers….

everyone just go H&R Block. Their system is up and functioning, it’s not like the IRS made the change on the 8th and TT had ample opportunity to rectify this on their end….

I was told by the Turbo Tax rep I talked to today that this would be fixed no later than Friday.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies