turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error on Form 8606

Form 8606 says it has an error.  It says the form needs to be updated to ensure all calculations are correct.  But when I check for updates it says that no updates are available.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Error on Form 8606

The Form 8606 has not yet been finalized.   The estimated date is 01/29/2020.  Click on the Review tab for any forms and schedules that have not yet been finalized and their estimated availability dates.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Error on Form 8606

The Form 8606 has not yet been finalized.   The estimated date is 01/29/2020.  Click on the Review tab for any forms and schedules that have not yet been finalized and their estimated availability dates.

STP2
Level 1

Error on Form 8606

The available was 1/29/2020, then changed t0 2/05/2020 and now is showing 2/12/2020. IRS had this form on their site for 2019 on Sunday 1/26/2020. Called to verify the first change and was told that 2/05/2020 was valid. Why the slippage and what is the real date? April 15, 2020 or do I need to file an extension if using Turbo Tax to file my taxes?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Error on Form 8606

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS to complete it on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8606 on TurboTax e-file as  02/12/2020.  I truly understand your frustration and thank you for your patience.

[Edited 2/4/2020 | 2:05 PM]

@Noel4 Please see the correction.  It was for Form 8606

@STP2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Noel4
Returning Member

Error on Form 8606

My inquiry references 8606. Your reply refers to Form 8936.  What happened?

Error on Form 8606

@Noel4 wrote:

My inquiry references 8606. Your reply refers to Form 8936.  What happened?

Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs - Estimated date available 02/12/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Error on Form 8606

The IRS paper form is only the first step.

Once the IRS publishes the paper for then the IRS must use that to develop the electronic form specifications (schema) and then got that to the software vendors like TurboTax.   TurboTax must then develop its electronic form to meet those specifications and then submit that back to the IRS for final approval before TurboTax can incorporate the new form into an scheduled update (they usually do  not produce an update for any specific form or change or you would have a new update every day.)

That usual means that the update will lag the IRS paper form for 2-4 weeks depending on how fast these processes take at the IRS and TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
STP2
Level 1

Error on Form 8606

Thank you for the explanation. I really do understand the complexities associated with a change or modification process...was my occupation for 18+ years...my frustration is that the dates slipped twice and the second change came after talking to a customer service rep who verified the first date change with a manager. My general concerns are linked to an ID theft issue several years prior with my wife's SSN that was discovered when filing our taxes...TMI I am sure...managing customer expectations is the issue

Error on Form 8606

The date is only the estimated date.  Often unexpected delays (sometimes at the IRS) will slip the date.  This happens often the Congress makes last minute tax law changes at the end of December such as they did.   There are numerous forms that the IRS must re-write or modify because of the last minute tax law changes and they don't always meet the estimated date.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Noel4
Returning Member

Error on Form 8606

But why does the form # in the explanation change from 8606 to 8936?

Error on Form 8606

@Noel4 wrote:

What explanation?   If yiu mean the employee that posted above - I can only guess a typing error. since the 2/12 date is the current estimate in the forms list for the 8606 form.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Error on Form 8606

@Noel4 wrote:

Because @LinaJ2020 mistakenly answered using form 8936 instead of form 8606.

Max 49

Error on Form 8606

2/12/20 came and no form 8606 was available on the updated Turbotax so I returned the software to COSTCO and purchased the competition software .I successfully e-file my taxes and wasn’t never asked for 8606 on that software.

I waited days and spent hours on the computer and the phone for a answer to the issue both with TT support and IRS.

Form 8606 disappeared from the list of supported forms for TT on the official site.

The support tech that help me got my permission to enter my computer and told me to do this and that (some completely wrong) to no avail.

So disappointing after so many years of great satisfaction with TurboTax.

I was left lost. Is there a bug that nobody knows?

Is the issue on my computer or maybe that particular CD?
If writing the form to the software is the issue, why taking so long?

My hard earned money is on my way now and I'm happy that there’s a software in the market place that did what it supposed to do.
I will keep looking for what really is the issue, for curiosity sakes, and maybe next year I will get that software that got my money fast and accurate.

Error on Form 8606

Was to be finalized on 2/12/2020...its now 2/21/2020. still getting an error when inputting total cost basis from 2018. New update date ?

Error on Form 8606

@bobmizret wrote:

Was to be finalized on 2/12/2020...its now 2/21/2020. still getting an error when inputting total cost basis from 2018. New update date ?

The 8606 is finalized.  If you are using the CD/download desktop version be sure to update to the latest version.

What type of error are you getting - what does it say?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies