turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

levypeter

How can I make a copy of tax return without social security number printed

Want to send copy for mortgage applicatio of tax return  without social  security number.

HOw is this done?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Only way is to print the return & cover up the SS#  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here are a few ways you can do it.

1. Go to the Personal Info section and delete your Social Security number. Print the tax return. Then go back to Personal Info and put the Social Security number back in.

2. Save the PDF. Use PDF editing software to redact the Social Security number in the PDF. Then print the tax return from the redacted PDF.

3. Print the tax return. Block out the Social Security number on each page with white-out or with a black marker. Make a photocopy of the tax return with the number blocked out, and send the photocopy .

And check all the pages.  The ssn might be across the top of each schedule.

The problem with deleting the SSN in the tax software, is that doing that may remove some credits or exemptions automatically such that the PDF you print out is no longer the correct one......and then you have to mess around to get them back...I'd leave that alone.

I wonder if the PDF software on the MAC has the ability to erase stuff (Adobe Reader doesn't allow it)
Level 2

True about the mortgage company, in fact they need it to verify it’s your actual return against a transcript they request and the economic situation portrayed is real.  So you make a good point. 

However, we’re looking at several financial advisors, and so for us the concern is about some of their junior staff, Especially those in the copy and transcript department might be high school kids.  The planners have fiduciary responsibility but their clerks might not

@HRB 

Then take a picture of each of your paper tax return sheets to create jpeg files ( .jpg extension )….and then use picture processing software to erase the SSN on each sheet you are releasing.   Then print those.

Windows software has a native Paint app that allows opening a jpg file and an eraser tool that I've used.  Don't know what a MAC might have.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I was successful doing this in TurboTax 2022 following the tips of previous posters for inspiration.  I used Forms view. 

1. in the Personal Worksheet, I changed my SS number to [removed]. It will not accept non-numeric. In my case, I needed to leave the actual last 4 digits as correct. You will see an error be flagged (!) since it will no longer match your W-2.

2. Go to the 1040 form and Print it. If you Preview, you will see the SS number with zeros. You can also select to print only the pages you need (I only needed the first page as proof of my AGI).

3. Go back to your Personal Worksheet and change the zeroes back if you like, or when closing the file, simply select not to save it.

TIP: Don't forget to also redact the SS#'s for your spouse or dependents!!

Making temporary changes to the SS# for printing purposes only will work ... use ones like  333-44-5555 ... just do not use any that start with a 9  and everyone must have a different number so 444-55-6666, 555-66-7777 etc. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies