Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmforhim

I have error FW2-502. W2s appear correct - except that they used my maiden name. Last year, I notified Social Security of my married name. What is the problem?

I have 5 W2s. How can I fix this error?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I have error FW2-502. W2s appear correct - except that they used my maiden name. Last year, I notified Social Security of my married name. What is the problem?

dmforhim

The employer's data is correct. But my name is my maiden name (married last year) and my address is a previous address. I entered my correct information, but maybe I should have entered it into TurboTax EXACTLY as the W2 has it... 

The name on the W-2 does not have to be the same as on your tax return, provided you entered the name on the tax return the same as what is on your current Social Security card.

The error is for the Employer's EIN as noted on the TurboTax support FAQ.  Verify that you entered the EIN correctly in the TurboTax program for your W-2's.

dmforhim

All EINs (for my 5 w2s) are correct. 
But in Turbotax, I used my married name and new address to fill in the boxes for the W2s INSTEAD of entering my name and address as the W2 has it listed.

Could this be what is triggering the error with the W2s?

Should I enter into TurboTax the EMPLOYEE information EXACTLY as the W2 has it stated?

Could this be what is triggering the error with the W2s?

Yes, this could trigger an error.  You should use the same name and address in the TurboTax program as is on the W-2's you received from your employer.

....and to clarify, you had 5 Different employers last year??

....and you checked the EIN on Copy B of each W-2, for each "Employer", against each different W-2 you entered into the software??

Your own mailing address should be what it is now.

....and., maybe you just need to delete all the W-2 forms in the software, and re-enter them again carefully.

______

Occasionally, a name change for a SSN at Social Security doesn't get "synced" with the IRS computers, but usually this is only an issue if the SS change was in the last 2-3 months.  IF you received a new SS card, and that name is OK, then it should have been synced with the IRS computers by now.  If you didn't get a new SS card, perhaps the SS Admin is understaffed and they haven't changed it yet...or it got lost in a pile.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmforhim

Yes. 5 employers which I am still working for.

I went over every detail of the W2s. They are all correct.

I changed my employee name and address to be exactly what the W2 says.

I e-filed a SECOND TIME the W2's as TurboTax suggested.

I received a SECOND REJECTION with the same FW2-502 error.

TurboTax says:

**// Unfortunately, the IRS CAN'T VERIFY all the EINs you reported and this is preventing them from accepting your return.

The IRS will not allow you to file a return electronically with an incorrect EIN.

Questions...

Select CONTINUE and we'll help you PRINT AND FILE THIS RETURN BY MAIL. //**

Is this my only choice now -- to MAIL the forms and wait in uncertainty for an even longer time?

Unfortunately you will have to print and mail your return since the IRS will not accept the e-filed return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing and mailing a return when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

This has NOTHING to do with your spouse's name or address on the W-2 ... it is an employer issue where their EIN is not being recognized probably because they got the number too recently to be in the IRS data base.  All you can do is print, ink sign and mail in the return attaching all the W-2 forms.

I would check the EIN with all your employers.  Maybe one is wrong.  Check with the employer, if your W2 is rejecting for the EIN then the other employees should be rejecting too.  Ask around.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies