Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charles63

Payers FIN

I'm putting in my info on my 1099R from my military retirement pay and TurboTax Deluxe tells me the FIN is invalid.  I've checked what I input and it matches what's on my 1099, what is the malfunction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Payers FIN

Is the Federal ID Number 34-0727612? If so, that is the correct number and you may have to delete and re-enter your 1099-R to fix the problem.

How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online? 

Why does this happen? Once you enter (or import or transfer) certain information, the program creates or updates forms and worksheets that use that information. In many cases, you cannot "change" that information in the interview process - in a manner of speaking, it has been "written in ink" on the forms. You have to delete the form and any associated worksheets in order to correct. 

If the program thinks the Payer's EIN is incorrect and you can't change it in the interview, then use the "Delete a Form" tool to remove the 1099-R (and associated worksheets, if any). 

After deleting the 1099-R and any associated worksheets, log out of the program. When you log back in, use the Delete a Form tool (List of Forms in My Return) to confirm they have been removed from your return. Then, go back to the Retirement Income and Social Security interview to add the 1099-R back in.  

View solution in original post

Charles63

Payers FIN

I actually looked at my 1099R from last year thinking the # should be the same.  So this yrs 1099R forgot to put the 2 on the end.  After I put the 2 on the end it took it.  After a 45min delay trying to figure out what the problem was.  Thanks for your response I just figured it out before I got it.  Pretty sad DFAS can't even send out a 1099R with accurate info.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Payers FIN

Is the Federal ID Number 34-0727612? If so, that is the correct number and you may have to delete and re-enter your 1099-R to fix the problem.

How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online? 

Why does this happen? Once you enter (or import or transfer) certain information, the program creates or updates forms and worksheets that use that information. In many cases, you cannot "change" that information in the interview process - in a manner of speaking, it has been "written in ink" on the forms. You have to delete the form and any associated worksheets in order to correct. 

If the program thinks the Payer's EIN is incorrect and you can't change it in the interview, then use the "Delete a Form" tool to remove the 1099-R (and associated worksheets, if any). 

After deleting the 1099-R and any associated worksheets, log out of the program. When you log back in, use the Delete a Form tool (List of Forms in My Return) to confirm they have been removed from your return. Then, go back to the Retirement Income and Social Security interview to add the 1099-R back in.  

Charles63

Payers FIN

I actually looked at my 1099R from last year thinking the # should be the same.  So this yrs 1099R forgot to put the 2 on the end.  After I put the 2 on the end it took it.  After a 45min delay trying to figure out what the problem was.  Thanks for your response I just figured it out before I got it.  Pretty sad DFAS can't even send out a 1099R with accurate info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies