turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ielsulit

I left the army on July 2017..currently on a Inactive Reserve. Am I now considered as 'reserves' for military status?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I left the army on July 2017..currently on a Inactive Reserve. Am I now considered as 'reserves' for military status?

No..that does not.  But being active duty at any time in 2017 does qualify you for the Free Deluxe Military version.

Go back thru your personal setting in the My Info section, and you can click the Active Duty selection...and will then be given a couple more selections, one indicates you left active duty during 2017.

Then, all you need to do is the make sure you enter your Military W-2......a page with checkboxes right after the main form has a top checkbox to indicate that it was an Active duty W-2

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

This answer does not help or work.  If I am a veteran now and do I not check anything now??  I am considered inactive ready reserve.

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

You are considered a reserve meaning you can be called up for active duty. I have searched for links for you to look at and this link explains the difference. So if you are in the reserve, it means you are not in Active Duty until you are called. There is no  Inactive Reserve designation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is an inactive reserve designation for the military. There may not be for tax purposes however I would refrain from declaring there isn't one all together or at least specify that for tax purposes there isn't . That could be potentially confusing to military service members who are leaving active duty. After active duty ends you begin your inactive service at which point you can be called back anytime. Inactive reserves are differentiated from active reservists in that they receive no pay and are not subject to drilling, training, or any of the benefits of service that apply to former military members.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

For tax purposes, did you perform any military duties on military orders during the tax year that you got paid for by a military organization.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies