turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coconut2191
Returning Member

If my military w2 states that I have state wages from tennessee (boxes 15-17), but tennessee isn't listed what do I do?

Box 15- TN
Employers state ID number-blank
Box 16 state wages, tips, etc.-$xxxxx (hidden for privacy)
Box 17 state income tax-blank
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If my military w2 states that I have state wages from tennessee (boxes 15-17), but tennessee isn't listed what do I do?

Tennessee does not impose an income tax.  They only tax interest and dividend income as part of their Hall income tax.

Please see the attached link for more information.

States without income tax for individuals

As for your state income taxes, if you never changed your state of residence from North Carolina, you should have been filing state income tax returns there.  However, if you changed your state of residency to Tennessee, then you would not have had to file any income taxes in North Carolina.

North Carolina filing requirements for Active Military

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
coconut2191
Returning Member

Home of record was Tennessee. so the W2 shows for state taxes (box 15-17) Box 15- TN... Box 16 (state wages, tips, etc.)-$xxxx (hidden for privacy).... Box 17 (state income tax)-blank. 

Turbo tax will not let me put Tennessee for the state in Box 15. So what do I do? leave that whole section blank? the state wages (box 16) is the same that is listed in box 1.

Yes...if  TN shows in box 15 of any W-2,  you leave boxes 15, 16, 17entirely blank on that same line in the software W-2 form.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies