turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FEEDBACK. TurboTax Premier Asks if I'm a Real Estate Professional EVERY TIME I Access Rental and Royalty Income Section

Reposting with the word 'feedback' in the title as suggested by @GeorgeDenseff 

10+ years on ttax.

When I go to enter the rental and royalty info in the income tab, ttax always has the same question and doesn't remember the answer, "Are you a real estate professional?"

Does anyone else observe this?  Any recommended workarounds?  Seems minor but I'm constantly going in and out of that section as I work thru various bits of data entry and it seems an opportunity for improvement/reducing clicks.

Suggestions:
0.  At least remember the answer from the last time I was in the section AND

1.  Change the software so it only asks once and remembers the answer OR

2.  Provide a 'don't ask me again' prompt with the question.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

FEEDBACK. TurboTax Premier Asks if I'm a Real Estate Professional EVERY TIME I Access Rental and Royalty Income Section

The interview is set up so that you move thru it in a forward procession once and not to be repeatedly traversed over and over again  so if you do you will need to answer certain questions again and again by design.  I doubt it will ever be changed so either stop going backwards or learn to deal with this function in the several places where it happens in the interview paths. 

Yes there are several areas that do not keep your answers if you go back.  Especially for 1099R entries.  If you edit or review a 1099R it does not keep your answers from before but resets them to the defaults. Then you have to go through and answer them all again. So be sure to go all the way to the end of the 1099R section. They are right unless you go back.

also in answer to @VolvoGirl 

Thanks for your replies.  It's a very minor item for a vast program like ttax.  Not trying to make it out as a huge deal.  I just find I answer it more times than any other question in my whole tax return prep.

I think I'm reading this:

If I stop in the middle of Rents and Royalties, save my work, head over to Deductions, and come back to Rents and Royalties, ttax will not remember the answer to this specific question even though it remembers my answers to lots of other questions in the section.  

Also, even if I complete the Rents and Royalties section entirely, if I come back to try and access the section again for a correction or update, I have to answer this specific question each time but not other questions in the section.  

This puzzles me if it's intentional.  If it's not, you have my suggestions.  Perhaps I'm in the minority of ttax users who stop their work in the middle and return to it later or discover/remember additional details that need to be added.  The community (that sees this post) can chime in.

I guessed a workaround might be to resort to the 'Topics List' at the top and drop into the middle of the interview but actually each of the Rents and Royalties options lands at 'So far you're not a real estate professional.'  Any other ways to deal with the function as Critter-3 describes?

Thanks all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies