turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What counts as first four years of college?

I'm looking at claiming the American Opportunity Credit and I'm not sure if I qualify or not.  When they say "first four years of post-secondary education" what does that exactly mean?  I spent about 4 years at a community college because I changed majors.  I graduated from the community college and now I'm pursuing my bachelor's degree.  Since I have not completed my four year degree yet and I have never claimed the American Opportunity Credit, would I qualify?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If you received four years academic credit for your 4 years at a community college, then you would not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, unfortunately.

Please refer below for more details.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/aotc

View solution in original post

10 Replies

NO, YOU DO NOT QUALIFY
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If you received four years academic credit for your 4 years at a community college, then you would not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, unfortunately.

Please refer below for more details.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/aotc

gokce

What if I completed four years academic credit in a country other than the U.S.? Am I still not eligible?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Your educational institution can tell you if you've been awarded four years of college-level credit before the current tax year. If you didn't earn this amount, then you may still be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit.

Here's more info on the American Opportunity Credit. 

@gokce

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PetroleumEngineer
Returning Member

Does this count for education abroad?  what should I choose if I never study in US before 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends on whether the U.S. institution gives you credit for education abroad.

@TaxGuyBill says “If the current college recognizes that you have a 4-year degree, the American Opportunity is not available.  If the college only recognizes the student as a pre-gradate (a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior), the American Opportunity may be claimed (if all other criteria are met).”

See Does bachelor degree earned from other country count towards 4-year college credit for American Oppo...

PetroleumEngineer
Returning Member

I am international and have previously taken loans and received 1098 E and 1098T forms. I am wondering if I am qualified for this. I had bachelor's degree in the past in another country.

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

It depends, here is what the IRS published on guidance for the educational credits including those for international students who may be a non-resident, and for eligible institutions: 

Who can claim an education credit?

There are additional rules for each credit, but you must meet all three of the following for both:

1. You, your dependent or a third party pays qualified education expenses for higher education.
  2. An eligible student must be enrolled at an eligible educational institution.
  3. The eligible student is yourself, your spouse or a dependent you list on your tax return.

Who cannot claim an education credit?

You cannot claim an education credit when:

• Someone else, such as your parents, list you as a dependent on their tax return
  • Your filing status is married filing separately
  • You already claimed or deducted another higher education benefit using the same student or same expenses (see Education Benefits: No Double Benefits Allowed for more information)
  • You (or your spouse) were a non-resident alien for any part of the year and did not choose to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes (find more information in Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens)

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

@PetroleumEngineer

PetroleumEngineer
Returning Member

Thank you for your time and explanation. I am in the Ph.D. program in my second year. Can I amend both the 2021 and 2021 tax returns ? 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

You can amend a return to receive a refund for up to three years from the due date of the tax return. @PetroleumEngineer 

Manage cookies