turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If i am a college student, am i a resident of the state that my school is in?

Replies are in other thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/college-education/discussion/student-question-about-residency-and-...

And....FL has no state income tax, so you do not file a state return for FL.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I currently attend graduate school in CT and work at my university as well (including summers) however i still have my NJ ID but have CT health insurance. Would i still need to file for both states or just CT

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

That depends.

How you file state tax returns depends on several circumstances. 

(Military members have their own requirements unique to them)

Let's break it down.

First, as a student, if someone else claims you as their dependent, you are a resident of the same state as the taxpayer who claims you. 

(For example, parents live in California and dependent child attends school in Wisconsin. That child/student is a resident of California and may or may not need to file both California and Wisconsin depending on income sources.) 

When a student is NOT a dependent, they must determine their- 

• DOMICILE:     Permanent legal residence/ permanent home where you intend to return to after a temporary move, such as for schooling.
  • PLACE OF ADOBE:     Location of housing, no matter if owed or rented.

The fact that you still have a New Jersey ID is irrelevant. If you no longer have a place in New Jersey to return to, you cannot be "domiciled" in New Jersey.

If you are DOMICILED in New Jersey-

You file as a Resident of Connecticut if you lived there more than183 days. (your place of adobe)  

You file as a Part-Year resident of Connecticut for the year you moved there but did not stay more than 183 days

You ALSO file as a resident of New Jersey unless:

1. You did not maintain a permanent home in New Jersey; 

2. You maintained a permanent home outside New Jersey; and 

3. You did not spend more than 30 days in New Jersey.

New Jersey link on Understanding Income Tax

If you do need to file both state returns, enter the Part-Year temporary state first,  (Connecticut) then your Resident state (New Jersey). On the New Jersey Resident return, you will claim all your income but will also get a credit for the tax paid to Connecticut on the income earned in Connecticut. 

If you were not domiciled in New Jersey (and did not earn income attributed to that state) you needn't file a New Jersey tax return. 

Instructions for CT-1040 NR/PY

Non-Resident and Part-Year Resident Information Connecticut 

New Jersey Tax Credit for taxes paid to another state 

@rxleypxyton 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kholtmeier1
Returning Member

What if I go to college, earn income, rent a townhouse, and am registered to vote in Minnesota, but my drivers license is in my "home state" of Illinois? Am I able to solely file taxes in Minnesota?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. What if I go to college, earn income, rent a townhouse, and am registered to vote in Minnesota, but my drivers license is in my "home state" of Illinois? Am I able to solely file taxes in Minnesota?

A. It depends on more info.

If you still have an abode in IL, you still have to file two state tax returns.  If you are still a dependent of  your parents, in IL, you still have to file two state tax returns. 

College students, away at school, are still residents of their original state until they establish a permanent residency somewhere else. Registering to vote isn't enough. 

kholtmeier1
Returning Member

I have rented the same apartment in Minnesota for the last 3 years (though am moving this summer) and am no longer claimed as a dependent by my parents who reside in Illinois. Other than my parents house, I have no other abode in Illinois, though my drivers license lists the Illinois address.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The fact that you're moving this summer, confirms that your time in MN was temporary, for the purpose of attending school, and your intent was not to establish permanent residency in MN.

IL will give you a credit, or partial credit for the tax you pay to MN. You usually come out even, either way, except for the cost and hassle of preparing two state returns.  

Getting a MN drivers license woulda been helpful but still not enough to establish residency. 

kholtmeier1
Returning Member

Unfortunately I did the double taxation credit last year and the difference was $500 I owed Illinois (even though I earned no income there). I was just curious if there was a way I could avoid making that large payment again this year.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  I was just curious if there was a way I could avoid making that large payment again this year?

A.  As you can tell from the discussion, it's not 100% clear cut.  Don't file an IL return and hope you can explain it if questioned.  You circumstances are not the typical college student.  If your permanent move, this summer,  is to somewhere other than IL, it helps your case. 

I'm not specifically familiar with IL & MN tax rates, and/or forms, but a $500 difference seems unusual, for typical student income amounts.  Carefully check the forms for accuracy. 

chaptico_td
Returning Member

what if you worked in 2 states as a college student? Your home and where you attend college?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. what if you worked in 2 states as a college student? Your home and where you attend college?

A. 

This is the general rule: The income is work state (WS) source income since it was earned there. Resident States (RS) tax all their resident's income, regardless of where earned. You will file a non-resident tax return for the WS and report the WS income. You will file a full year resident return for the RS, reporting all your income. The RS will give you a credit, or partial credit for any tax paid to the WS. This would apply to college students as well.

If you have a reciprocal state situation, the answer is different. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

Filing Requirements: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2903200-do-i-need-to-file-a-state-return

Different question related to this:

If I live in one state, but I attend online classes for a school that is located in a different state, then what state am I attending classes?  The question of: "Tell us the state where *name* attended classes"

So am I technically attending classes in the state I live, or the state that the school is located? The only reason I ask is because right above this it has me fill out the address information for the school, so my first thought was well obviously I'm attending classes in FL where the school is located. But then if that's the case, why ask the question? So am I attending classes in the state I live, which is OK, or am I attending classes in FL? 

I'm sorry I know this might be a dumb question

Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm not aware of that question ("Tell us the state where *name* attended classes") in the Federal program. It's has no relevance on federal taxes.

I'm not familiar with the OK software or how that issue may be relevant. A quick internet search does not reveal an OK college credit or deduction. 

Instead of tagging on to an old thread, you may want to ask a new question to attract more experts. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If the question is "Tell us the state where *name* attended classes", you would answer with the state you actually attended classes in , regardless of where the school is headquartered or what your state of residence is.

If you are physically attending classes in FL, then FL would be the answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies