TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
923 people found this useful

Which states have reciprocal agreements?

For the most part, state reciprocal agreements are an East Coast/Midwest phenomena.

If you work in the District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wisconsin, and you're a resident in one of their reciprocal states, fill out and submit the corresponding exemption form to your employer to be considered for exemption. With this exemption, no withholding is taken out of your paycheck for the state you work in. 

Important! Also ask your employer to withhold taxes for your resident state instead of your working state. If they can't or won't do it, you'll have to make quarterly estimated payments to your resident state or risk underpayment penalties come tax time.

If you're a resident of... and you work in... Submit this exemption form to your employer
Anywhere other than District of Columbia District of Columbia D-4A
Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, or Wisconsin Illinois IL-W-5-NR
Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin Indiana WH-47
Illinois Iowa 44-016
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wisconsin Kentucky 42A809
District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia Maryland MW 507
Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, or Wisconsin Michigan MI-W4
Michigan or North Dakota Minnesota MWR
North Dakota Montana MT-R
Pennsylvania New Jersey NJ-165
Minnesota or Montana North Dakota NDW-R
Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia Ohio IT-4NR
Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, or West Virginia Pennsylvania REV-419
District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia Virginia VA-4
Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Virginia West Virginia WV/IT-104 R
Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, or Michigan Wisconsin W-220