turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a question : I am an international student and mistakenly filed my tax return using Turbo Tax. I wasn't aware that Turbo Tax. Now I want to change. Should I need to attach my 1040 form with 1040X ? On which form should I write amended? Thank in a

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I have a question : I am an international student and mistakenly filed my tax return using Turbo Tax. I wasn't aware that Turbo Tax. Now I want to change. Should I need to attach my 1040 form with 1040X ? On which form should I write amended? Thank in a

Yes, you can file on your own. You will have to download, fill out and print Form 1040X: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

Please follow these instructions:

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040NR). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “AMENDED” (1040NR)
  • Across the copy of the original 1040 write "COPY OF ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED"
  • Attach 1040NR and the copy of the original 1040 to the back of Form 1040X.

@Sai Pavan Kalyan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

19 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can use Sprintax to file your needed 1040-NR.  You will need to file the amended tax return (1040X) only if your original return was accepted by the IRS. 

You will print and mail into the IRS the following:

- Form 1040X - - link has the form and instructions
 - Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ with “AS AMENDED” written on top of each page, and
 - a copy of the Form 1040 you originally submitted with “COPY OF ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED” written on top of each page.

I have already got refund. Can I file it on my own ? Can you give instructions? 1040X form

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file on your own. You will have to download, fill out and print Form 1040X: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

Please follow these instructions:

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040NR). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “AMENDED” (1040NR)
  • Across the copy of the original 1040 write "COPY OF ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED"
  • Attach 1040NR and the copy of the original 1040 to the back of Form 1040X.

@Sai Pavan Kalyan

Can I fill my own 1040X and use sprintax to fill 1040NR and then sending both of them works??

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can download and fill out the 1040X and use sprintax to fill 1040NR, then print both forms and then send them both to the IRS.

To download, fill out and print Form 1040X: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

carl_xim

I made the same mistake and I also got my  tax refund and recently got the stimulus check deposit.

I want to file an amendment and file form 1040NR through Sprintax.

However, when I click on the option that says I already filed 2019 taxes and need an amendment, Sprintax pauses the whole process and tells me that this needs to be treated offline.

I tried this 2 weeks ago and still waiting to be contacted by someone offline.

Can you please advice:

1) How long do I need to wait to be able to generate 1040NR form with Sprintax to include it in my amendment.

2) I got an stimlulus check because I made the mistake of filing as a resident. How do I give back this money to IRS?

Thank you!

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Maybe don't mention that you are doing an amendment with Sprintax.  You just need to have a 2019 1040NR and 2019 state return prepared through Sprintax.  The only issue is that you do not want them to file the returns or e-file the returns.  You need to tell them you only want to print and mail them.

You will need to go to your state's website and download their state amended return form.

Then you can do the amended part on your own.

Print your 1040NR in Sprintax; do not e-file it..  You must mail the 1040NR along with the amended return Form 1040X 

Per IRS Form 1040X instructions,  page 8: 

To amend and file the correct return, do the following:    

• Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.  

• Complete a new or corrected return, Form 1040NR,  

• Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”   

• Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.  

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on Form 1040X.   

Sprintax 

Form 1040X  

1040X Instructions 

To return your stimulus check to the IRS see the information in the attached link... IRS Returning an Erroneous Refund

carl_xim

Thanks so much for your answer. 

Do I need to also select the "Amend Return" option in my current TurboTax account? Or is it not neccesary.

Also, do you have any advice on how to return the stimulus deposit derived from incorrectly filing my 2019 tax?

Thank you.

Hi I am also in the same situation. I think KarenJ2 has suggested a way to return the deposit:

"If your refund was a direct deposit:

1. Contact the Automated Clearing House (ACH) department of the bank/financial institution where the direct deposit was received and have them return the refund to the IRS.
  2. Call the IRS toll-free at [phone number removed] (individual) or [phone number removed] (business) to explain why the direct deposit is being returned.
  3. Interest may accrue on the erroneous refund."

But IRS said that they are closing down the online/telephone assistance service so I am not sure if I have to call them, or it is okay to contact the bank to issue a refund only.

I did the same mistake.

Should I mail 1040X, Original 1040 and 1040NR documents to the IRS?

Please let me know if I can do this process online.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. If you filed Form 1040, file Form 1040X and 1040NR to the IRS. You can send the original or a copy. However, if sending a copy, sign the copy.

For the mailing address see Where To File.

Ro712
Returning Member

Hi There,

I did the same error. I am an international student and filed in turbotax online. Got my returns too.

Can you please explain how to change it to 1040 NR?

I can download 1040 X. Okay, Where will I get 1040 NR?

Should I do all these online or fill it manually and send? If manually filling, then which address should I mail it?

Please reply.

Thank you!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You need to mail. Follow these steps:

1. You can use Sprintax  to fill it out and print the 1040NR. 
  2. Once it is printed, write the word Amended across the top
  3. Print the Form 1040-X | Internal Revenue Service
  4. Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040-X.
  5. Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040-X.
  6. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040-X.
  7. Attach the new return under Form 1040-X.

@Ro712 

Ro712
Returning Member

Thank you for your response

So I should fill the tax again completely in sprintax and get the 1040 NR generated from it - Is my understanding correct?

It's not an issue though I got my refund from the one which I filed using TurboTax?

Also to which address should I mail all these?

I should send them physically?

Please help.

Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies