turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get my stimulus check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Go to this site: TurboTax Updates for Stimulus Payment Registration (It will look like the screen shot below) and re-enter the stimulus registration:

In order to deliver money as quickly as possible to those who need it, the IRS is sending stimulus payments to eligible taxpayers who filed a tax return in either 2019 or 2018 and chose to receive their refund via direct deposit into their checking account. 

These taxpayers will automatically have their stimulus payment deposited into the account they received their refund. We have not yet received confirmation from the IRS on whether they will be putting stimulus payments on prepaid debit cards. 

However, we have noticed that the IRS has started depositing stimulus payments on some prepaid debit cards for taxpayers that chose to receive their refund through that method in tax year 2019 or 2018.  If you received your refund on a prepaid debit card in tax year 2018 or 2019, here is what you need to know: 

• I have access to my debit card: If you have access to your debit card (most people), there is nothing more you need to do.  If the IRS deposits a stimulus payment onto your prepaid debit card, you will be able to immediately use the stimulus funds upon deposit. 
  • I don't have access to my debit card: If you received a notification that you will be receiving your stimulus payment from the IRS on your prepaid debit card and no longer have access to it, we will have information coming shortly.  We encourage you to visit this site, where we are continually updating with the latest information and guidance. We know everyone is anxious to get their stimulus money and we are committed to helping our customers get access to their stimulus payment as fast as possible.  

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS: Economic Impact Payment Information Center

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@shakiastar

i have a question? I filed my tax already but  on feb 12  2020 and still have not received it! But its being processed  The status bar was gone i was told i would receive a letter. Which i did and i have to wait again for another 45 days for it. My question will i get the stimulus deposit in my account ? 

pleaase help me

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

As long as you have either 2018 or 2019 accepted with your bank account, you are in good shape. 

Please see these sites for updates:

What You Need to Know for IRS Stimulus Payments

Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service

Impact Payment Calculator 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello amy 

thank you but the thing is i filed my 2019 already and my tax return is being processed as show on the WMR, which i have provided my direct deposit info for this year. But i think last year for 2018 made them sent it to my house which is not my current address no more.. so what should i do ? I received a letting that for my 2019 return that i have to wait still? Thats why im on delima right now..

thann you 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you filed your 2019 return the IRS has your information and will use it to send your stimulus payment.

The IRS will be opening a web portal mid April that will allow you to  let them know your bank account information if they don't have your direct deposit information and they haven't sent your payment.

The portal will be at this IRS website: Economic Impact Payments.

If you want to find out when your payment is coming, there will soon be an online tool to track it. On April 17, the IRS plans to launch an online tool called Get My Payment. It will let you to check the status of your payment and find out when it will be deposited into your bank account or mailed to you.

Totat99

Hi I have a question as well, I mistakenly filed my 2019 taxes as dependent even though I cant and wont be claimed, will I still receive a stimulus check?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

No, you will need to amend your return and not qualify as a dependent.  If your parents just didn't claim you but you qualify to be claimed you will still not get the stimulus.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

Totat99

What if I'm not qualified as a dependent ? I just recently took a look at my returns and it was accepted but my parents haven't done their taxes and I'm not qualified to get claimed ? Should I just amend anyways ?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you filed and said that someone else could claim you as a dependent, and that is not true, then you should file an amended return. Unfortunately, the IRS is not processing paper-filed returns at this time. All amended returns are paper-filed, the IRS is accepting them but not processing them. Normally an amended return would take 6 weeks to be processed but there is no telling how long it would take now. 

The stimulus payment is an advance on a tax credit for the 2020 tax year. If you are claimed as dependent in 2019, but not in 2020, you will not receive a stimulus payment this year but will receive one when you file your taxes next year. 

@Totat99

I just got my 1200 on my turbo tax card!!!!

I used the turbo tax stimulus registration site and the get my payment tool the IRS just released says with the info they have on file they can't determine my eligibility. Can anyone figure out what went wrong?!

Well, that depends...I filed my 2018 taxes to my bank and opted for a turbo card for 2019 and now I have to give IRS my bank info, they apparently don't have it. They have a link up on the irs.gov site called get my payment to check status,  good luck!

For 2018 my refund was direct deposited into my checking account. For 2019 it was deposited onto the Turbo green dot card.  Today I logged into the IRS “Where’s my Payment” tool and it said they needed more info in order to direct deposit my stimulus payment - my banking info is what they asked for.  I submitted my account info and it basically just said “thanks, check back once a day for an update on when your payment is scheduled to be deposited.”  My oldest daughter was showing hers pending as of Monday morning bc her & her husband used their checking account for their refund.  I feel like using the turbo card for mine has delayed my payment.  Otherwise, I probably would have gotten mine today like everyone else.

We ended up paying instead of getting a refund for our Income tax return for 2018 and 2019, however we used our direct deposit to pay ut. Most of my friends got theirs today but not us. Are they going to send it via direct deposit or a check? Please help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies