error 190

I need a copy of my 2018 business tax return but each time I open it I get the 190 error. I already have the state installed so not sure what to do

error 190

Do you have 2 TurboTax 2018 products installed; i.e., did you prepare your personal tax return in a personal tax product, and a business return in the Business Edition (corporations, partnerships, multimember LLC, etc.?)

If so, be sure you are opening the correct data file.   Both a personal tax data file and a Business Edition data file end in the same *.tax2018 file extension, which can be confusing.

Or did you prepare more than one state return?

error 190

Hi - I'm getting the same error.  I have my individual return saved with the extension .tax2018.  However, I'm unable to open it after re-installing TurboTax 2018, with the same error 190, asking me to download the state.  When I do that, it just goes back to the prior screen without opening up the return. 

Thanks for the help. 

error 190

@hubear818 

Since you said "individual return", I will assume you are referring to a personal tax return, as opposed to a business return that the threadowner was referring to.

What state is it?  Is it California by any chance?   And are you using a Mac or a PC?

There is a known state download loop problem when downloading California state in Mac software.   If that's your situation, we can tell you a workaround.

error 190

Thanks!  Yes it is California, though I was trying to do it on my PC.  Basically after it asks me to download my state, I do that, and then the pop up window closes but the return still doesn’t open.  Thanks for your help!

error 190

@ hubear818 wrote:

The looping situation I described and a specific workaround I alluded to is for Mac software only.   In the Mac software the CA software might be downloading and not being extracted.   But I haven't heard of that happening in Windows, and if it can, I don't know the steps to manually extract the state program files in Windows like I do for Mac.     So try this:

First be sure the 2018 software is up to date.   Have you run the program updater lately?   And also, restart your computer, if you haven't lately.

Then, if you haven't done so, minimally start a brand new 2018 return in your software.   Once it's going, click at the top on the ONLINE menu, and in the dropdown menu choose "Download state."    Does the California state product download and install then?

If not, unless you get any other suggestions over the weekend, here's how to phone TurboTax Support.  However, they are closed until Tuesday.

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.    Closed for the long Labor Day weekend.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

error 190

Error 190 indicates that you are attempting to open a .tax2018 file that contains one or more state returns. Yet the version of TurboTax you are using does not have the necessary state modules installed. If so, then you will need to start a mock return in order to download and install the state modules needed. You will not be able to open any tax return with a state in it, until you have installed the state modules for the correct states included in the .tax2018 file.

error 190

Yes, I have a business corporate federal and state (PA) filed and printed

I also have a personal self employed federal and stated (MA) filed but am unable to print.

When I try to print the self employed return, I am sent to TurboTax business and get the message that some formats are not present, (error 190)

How do I fix this?

error 190

@Jackod1 wrote:

How do I fix this?

Since you have both products installed on your computer, be sure you are opening the correct data file.

It sounds like it's trying to open the wrong data file.   Both a personal tax data file and a Business Edition data file end in the same *.tax2018 file extension, which can be confusing.  If it's trying to open the wrong data file, that's why the state program is not recognized and produces Error 190.   

How are you opening the file?  Do NOT double-click the *.tax2018 data file to open it, since it can open the wrong program.   You need to open the personal tax program first and then open the data file.

The following is for the Windows version of TurboTax:

Launch your personal TurboTax program.  Once the interface comes up, go to the top left corner of the interface and click on FILE, and in the dropdown menu choose OPEN TAX RETURN.  An explorer window pops up.   Point TurboTax to the location of the personal tax data file (which ends in *.tax2018).   If the one you choose is the wrong one, then choose the other one.

If you continue to have problems, here's how to phone TurboTax Support:

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday (I believe also Saturday this week only).