turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My NYS return wants me to "Check This Entry: Other Additions/Subtractions Stmt (225): Sch B Part 2 Code-5 is not a valid subtraction code. How do I get past this?

THANK YOU so much.  I was frustrated with this. Your instructions worked perfectly.

kellyval

My NYS return wants me to "Check This Entry: Other Additions/Subtractions Stmt (225): Sch B Part 2 Code-5 is not a valid subtraction code. How do I get past this?

This fixed it! Thank you for posting this. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Referring to NY Form IT-225.  Part 2 deals with modifications to Partners, Shareholders, Beneficiaries.  These modification codes are provided by the entity that sent you the income document (a K-1 for example).

1.  In the New York interview, continue the NY return and get to the page titled "changes to federal income." 

2.  Scroll down to the bottom of the "other New York adjustments to federal income."  

3.  Update the "Partner, shareholder, beneficiary adjustments"  

The next page is "additions" and the one after that will be "subtractions."  You will probably find that there are numbers in one or more of the boxes there.  Hopefully they will look familiar and you will know what document they come from.

You will need to find the source document and get the correct modification code to enter for each.  If you need to see what the available codes look like, click on the applicable hyperlink "additions" or "subtractions" on the TurboTax pages.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
meghanw16

@zevastianp thank you! this solved my issue.

In order to fix the problem so that I could file our NY tax return, I had to go back to the start and go into the section concerning adjustments to federal income.  I put 0's in all the boxes which seems to be the mistake.  When I went back and deleted all the 0's and left them blank, I was able to file my return.  I spoke to 2 people at Turbo tax yesterday and neither one knew how to handle this and I was on the phone with them for a long time before we gave up.  

Turbo tax needs to be aware of this issue and provide the necessary guidance to get through this.  I shouldn't have to go into the community to do this.

This helped and solved the issue - I had to go back several times but I got there in the end! 

AliciaR58

I have moved back to New York a year ago I do not have a business so I'm not understanding why do I need form IT-225

rs96192

THANK YOU!!!

sebke76

Lifesaver!!!!! 🙂

This worked for me when there was a "0" in one of the "subtraction" amount fields.  When the 0 was cleared, the error message went away.  Thanks for the solution!

Help22

Is there a way to add modifications or additions to Other New York adjustments to federal income? For individuals?  For my IT 201, it usually shows on line 23 as other but when I try to look under other New York adjustments, I don't see an option for NYC Flexible benefits program for IRC-125.  I know the code is 101 for part 1 A. But I want to file electronically, and I don't see an option to include this option. 

You don't have to be concerned about Sec 125 because it's already been factored out of Box 1, Wages in your W-2.  Flexible benefits of Sec 125 is pretax health insurance costs you paid.  Adding modifications or additions to Other New York adjustments to federal income would result in double taxing yourself.

Help22

Thank you for replying to me, but I am

told I need to include my deferred comp benefits because it is considered as New York City Flexible benefits program IRC 125 not SEC 125.  This is deferred from my salary under a flexible benefits program estimated by New York City  and must be added under  part 1 of form IT 225, the code is 101 but I am trying to efile and on the option under other, there is nothing that gives me the option to flexible benefits program. Any suggestions?

Isael0803

same here I can't delete the 0 from the form,im on turbo tax doing it 

never thought a post from 2 years ago still this helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies