turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I import a K-1 (form 1065) file into turbo tax

You might be clicking on the "K-1" icon which takes you to a PDF.  Instead, click the the vertical dots.  "..." (but rotated vertically) icon.  The choose the first option which should be "Export to Turbo Tax".  You should be able to click "Download" once it displays.  This may result in the .txf file showing up in your "Downloads" directory, or in the browser's "Downloads" link, however you've set this up.  Some users may be prompted for where to save the downloaded file.

Nrouhani1
Returning Member

HOW DO YOU CONVER A PDFT TO TXF FILE?

there is no software that can convert a PDF to aTXF

TXF is a specially formatted text format for accounting / tax purposes. It is unlikely you can directly convert pdf files to TXF format, but in case the PDF file is just a print of opened .txf file you could simply copy it back, save it as text file and rename the suffix from txt to txf. But you certainly cannot do that with just any PDF document.

Generally speaking, any program that can import or open PDF documents can save them in a common text file, except in cases when the PDF's are locked and rights for text copy is restricted.

You can also manually copy and paste the text from opened PDF to Notepad or other text editor / word processor, provided the PDF file is not locked for text copy.

carl29098

Hi Scruffy,

When I click on the link this comes up:

An error has occurred
Error 20
2022-02-25 22:59:17 UTC
What happened?
The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout.
So what do we do now?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@carl29098

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tom_dvm
Returning Member

how to download a txf file into turbotax

@tom_dvm wrote:

how to download a txf file into turbotax

See this TurboTax support FAQ for importing a txf file - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-from-the-txf-file/00/25642

And note the Note on that article.....

Note: Neither TurboTax Online nor TurboTax Business supports imports from the .txf file.

There is still this problem with TurboTax. I just tried importing my new k-1 which resulted in adding a second one. If a k-1 was previously imported, TurboTax should recognize it. However if the k-1 was manually entered before you were able to import them, turbo tax will not recognize the original K-1. You would think TurboTax would figure out a way to solve this problem and save a lot of manual entry.

Hi Scruffy,

I have succefully downloaded a K-1 in TXF file format.  In the Import Summary section, the K-1 is listed.  However, when I go to the Schedule K-1 section of Turbo Tax to check the information, there is no K-1 from this particular investment.

So where is the information?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@clayton787 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is nothing at the end of this link about importing a tvf file. Please provide the information or remove this entry.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@ronljames 

@tom_dvm 

For as many years as TurboTax has bee around the following limitations on importing data have been consistent.  Why can only be answered by Intuit Corporate personnel.

TXF Accounting Data Files are importable only into the TurboTax Personal Desktop software products.

TurboTax Personal (Premier, Home & Business) will import TXF from QuickBooks, Quicken rental manager, or other financial service providers that produce a TXF file.

TurboTax Business only supports imports from QuickBooks.

@DoninGA  - that link for a FAQ that purportedly explains how to import TXF is no "404" Not Found.

@ronljames   Assume you meant TXF see answer above.

@clayton787  TXFs from PTP (Publicly Traded Partnerships) are notoriously useless. When the "TaxSupportPackage" site reports a download TXF file is available, if you change the downloaded extension to ".TXT" and open with a text editor (NotePad, Write, Word) you will see the minimal and usually incomplete data elements.  Ever since PTP processing has been available in TurboTax (capability added from Lacerte and Pro-Series) the fact has been that it is almost always best to manually transcribe the K-1 and K-3 data elements.  The only significant enhancement that has been made was to support §199a Data (into line 20 and associated fields).

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

@ScruffyCurmudgeon That link was active in 2022 when the reply to the OP was made.  In 2023 TT removed it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies