turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my wife supposed to get a card in her name for our refund also since we file joint taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
PatriciaR

Is my wife supposed to get a card in her name for our refund also since we file joint taxes?

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for the Turbo Prepaid Visa Card. 

NOTE:  In item number 1., the last sentence reads 'The Turbo Prepaid Visa Card will be issued under the name of the primary filer on the tax return.'

See more info here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6419975

Getting to Know the Turbo Prepaid Visa Card

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6394896

I'm the primary filer but I've read they will reject bc my husband's name isn't on the account too since we filed jointly. Can anyone clear this up
PatriciaR

I'm not sure I understand, what will reject?  If your question is something different than the original question, you may want to start a new post so you will get the correct answer for your situation.  Thank you.

From my understanding and what I've heard, if both names are not on the TurboTax Green Dot debit card then they will reject the refund and send it back to the irs. I filed a joint return and it's in my name because I am primary, now I'm hearing that it will reject my refund on the 14th. I'm trying to figure out if that is true or not
PatriciaR

I am going to attach another TurboTax FAQ to my answer above called Getting to Know the Turbo Prepaid Visa Card.  An excerpt from that FAQ reads "When you choose to get your Federal tax refund deposited to a Turbo Prepaid Visa Card, TurboTax works with Green Dot to get the right account info to the IRS (and/or the State) to make sure the money gets put on your card. As soon as the IRS approves your refund, the money gets electronically deposited to your card—simple as that!"  So you should not have any problems because TurboTax works with Green Dot to get the right account info to the IRS.  And because the card is issued per the first FAQ to the primary tax filer, that will not cause an issue either.  Give me a few minutes to post the FAQ I refer to in this comment.
PatriciaR

You will need to click on the box up above that reads 'See entire answer' to see the FAQ I just posted.

Yes it's true I filed a joint return and my state was rejected and sent back because both of our names was not on the account

Was the federal return rejected? I’m asking because my husband and I filed jointly. We selected the turbo card. I am afraid the turbo tax card will reject the return since both of our names were on the return. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@Eras2 This is an open internet forum, so we are not able to see your return. If your return is rejected, you will receive an email from TurboTax with instructions on how to fix it. Please click here to learn how to fix your return if it is rejected. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,  I'm wondering if you had any problems with the direct deposit onto turbo card as you filed married joint and only one name was on the card? I'm in same boat this year and was just curious what the outcome was. Thank you

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

When filing "married filing jointly," the Turbo Visa Debit Card will be issued under the name of the primary filer on the tax return.

Reference:  How to get your tax refund on a Turbo® Visa® Debit ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did they reject ur federal also bc the same thing is happening to me and they rejected my state

The turbo card rejected my state refund and sent it back to the state. I’m trying to figure out if they are going to do the same to my federal return bc I filed jointly 

MMars1220
Returning Member

You do not need to get the name added.  I don't know about state returns bc I do not need to file that bc I live in NH.  However for fed returns I do this every year thru turbo tax.  My husband and I file jointly. We opt for the turbo card which is thru green dot bank.   The card comes in mail.  It only has my husbands name on it. It has never been a problem.  The money always comes in like 10 days.  Besides if there r any issues turbo tax will email u about it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies