Solved: You are required to e-file your NY return only IF ...

dmookherjee

How do I efile my New York state tax return (mandated) when one W2 has box 1 blank and Turbotax requires me to print and mail both federal and state returns?

rjs

You are required to e-file your NY return only IF "your software supports the electronic filing of your return." If TurboTax is not allowing you to e-file, then it does not support electronic filing of your NY return. Therefore you are not required to e-file your NY return. File it by mail.

If you have no wages entered on the W-2 then you would not have any federal taxes withheld in box 2.  Are state wages and state income taxes withheld shown on boxes 16 and 17?  If not, why did you receive this W-2?

You can only efile state if Federal was first efiled and accepted.  If you can’t efile federal then it’s ok to mail N.Y. state.  Why can’t you efile?  Did federal reject?  Maybe we can help you fix it.

Did you get another W2 from this same employer?  Sometimes if there isn’t enough room or lines on the first one they will continue on another one.  In which case you enter 1 W2 with both Info.
rjs