turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I efile my New York state tax return (mandated) when one W2 has box 1 blank and Turbotax requires me to print and mail both federal and state returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How do I efile my New York state tax return (mandated) when one W2 has box 1 blank and Turbotax requires me to print and mail both federal and state returns?

You are required to e-file your NY return only IF "your software supports the electronic filing of your return." If TurboTax is not allowing you to e-file, then it does not support electronic filing of your NY return. Therefore you are not required to e-file your NY return. File it by mail.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you have no wages entered on the W-2 then you would not have any federal taxes withheld in box 2.  Are state wages and state income taxes withheld shown on boxes 16 and 17?  If not, why did you receive this W-2?

You can only efile state if Federal was first efiled and accepted.  If you can’t efile federal then it’s ok to mail N.Y. state.  Why can’t you efile?  Did federal reject?  Maybe we can help you fix it.

Did you get another W2 from this same employer?  Sometimes if there isn’t enough room or lines on the first one they will continue on another one.  In which case you enter 1 W2 with both Info.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are required to e-file your NY return only IF "your software supports the electronic filing of your return." If TurboTax is not allowing you to e-file, then it does not support electronic filing of your NY return. Therefore you are not required to e-file your NY return. File it by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies