Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Wheres' my refund it's been 4 months - no notes, no letters from IRS - "just being processed message" inquiry filed w/IRS - still waiting since Feb 1st.

It depends. 

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it has been taking longer with the stimulus payment being issued in addition to the tax refunds. 

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Also, be aware, the IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wheres' my refund it's been 4 months - no notes, no letters from IRS - "just being processed message" inquiry filed w/IRS - still waiting since Feb 1st.

Can Turbo Tax do a little help here?? we can not get to 1st base, to many menus?? go to my refund and always says in process?? I had missed the last part of my taxes questions, but corrected it may 4th ,again, it;s almost 3 months??What is it going to take to it right?? I have e filing so should never take more than 21 days????????? Can you respond to me ?

Thanks 

Jerry

@ Gerald Swanson wrote:

Can Turbo Tax do a little help here?? we can not get to 1st base, to many menus?? go to my refund and always says in process?? I had missed the last part of my taxes questions, but corrected it may 4th ,again, it;s almost 3 months??What is it going to take to it right?? I have e filing so should never take more than 21 days????????? Can you respond to me ?

Thanks 

Jerry

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Finally after trying for weeks I did exactly what Turbo suggested and apparently pressed the right buttons. I am now inline waiting to speak to a real person and hopefull. Thank you Turbo for the advice.

Great! Thanks calling- IRS phone direction is really helping me out! thanks so much!

I have called IRS phone # more than 10 times after 4-months still no refund but every time it directly me to the automated phone system which just tells me that "your refund is still being processed" and handed off. I finally got to talk to an agent to know out what's the root cause of my refund delay (ID verification needed don't know why though), by following this dialing direction. Still waited about 2hrs to get resolved in the 2 phone system but it does help me to solve the issue. Now waiting refund to be deposited after another 2 weeks. 

Your not the only one I filed mine too I got my state refund. But my federal I have no idea where is it when I check it’s online it sees still on process but it’s been 4 months now and I still don’t get it. I filed e-filling but they end up sending me pa paper check I have no idea why. I hope i recieve  something so if I did wrong I can fixed it .

This works perfectly BUT at the last step, which this guidance omits, enter 4 to get to an agent.   When I called they told me all systems were down and call back in 2 hours.  I filed electronically in April and still don't have a refund as of 9/10/20  and it is mid 5 figures.  

Correct--the addition of press 4 at the end gets you to an agent

Damama68

Friday will be 1 year that the irs accepted our return! I have called daily and only automated etc. ! And didn't get our second stimulus because the return was still being processed afraid to even file our 2020 return! This is [removed] no letters no calls from the irs! We need our money as I am unemployed again as a nonessential worker! 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS Taxpayer Advocate may be helpful in this situation.

This webpage explains the mission of the Taxpayer Advocate,

common issues that they handle and how to contact them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oddly enough, this works, it may take you a few times to get it right - take your time and have your papers or your TurboTax/Intuit forms ready for the information on your return. The agent asked for SS# and name. It only took about 10 minutes total time to for a response.  Give it a try.  It's worth it!

RAS

Na36

Today is 6/5/2021 and I have yet to receive a letter or any confirmation about my 2020 federal refund. I filed on turbo tax 3/10/2020 and I am officially still in “processing” 😳 everyone I know who have filed have received there refunds. I cannot fathom why it’s taking so darn long 🤦🏽‍♀️ 
I called once back in April, the agent told me it will take 10 weeks! Guess what??? I’m pretty sure they could have least sent me a letter by now. But haven’t. This is annoying! Never had any issues with my taxes... up until now. Would be nice to know what is going on. 

ee-ea
Level 15

@Na36 

All you can do now is, wait. At least you know that the IRS has your filing. It does not matter who sent your 1040 to the IRS. The IRS is the sole destination for tax returns. No one has discovered a way to make the IRS speed up sending out refunds. No one ever will because the IRS is an overwhelmed, over worked, under funded and under staffed government bureaucracy. Eventually you will get the pay off of your no interest loan to the government.

Have you thought of paying just enough by estimates or withholding to avoid a penalty and let the government wait for your check?

If you filed by mail that could be 98% of the explanation.   If you mailed it in this year the IRS was undermanned to deal with mail and it will take  a long time.  See this article on line:

https://grow.acorns.com/irs-tax-return-delays/?s1=google_performance_max&gclid=Cj0KCQjwweyFBhDvARIsA...

I had one year where I waited for almost 6 months to get my state refund and roughly 3 months for the Federal.   Some suggestions: 

1.  always efile

2.  don't pay them more than you owe--see below

3.  If you have any questionable items provide enough information so that they                                                             can understand what you did and why

4.   Pay your estimated  taxes out of your IRA if you are taking mandatory distributions.    You  can allocate 100% of an IRA payment to taxes and IRA payments made on 12/31 count as timely made for estimated tax purposes (penalties and interest)  and by 12/31 you should have a much better handle on how much you owe

Tawsha77
Returning Member

Me toooo! February 7th i filed through Turbo Tax and nothing but Processing message!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies