Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vxbe

Can I spend my return if I plan on amending it?

I got my return, it was about 200$~ but I forgot to add a W2 to my return, so I'm wondering, is it okay to spend the 200$ if I plan on amending my return to get a larger/correct amount (original return was supposed to be around 800$-900$). Like will they just take it out of the amended return automatically? Do I have to send cash via my 1040X form? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will still get the first original full refund (and keep it) or pay the first tax due.  You should not amend or change your return until you get the refund from the original return or your payment has cleared.  

The amended return will only show the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you owe on the Amended return you have to include a check.  But why do you say the correct amount should have been larger?  Then you say send cash with the 1040X?  Are you expecting more refund or to pay some of the original refund back?  Usually adding more income reduces your refund.

The 1040X form for 2018 hasn't been approved yet by IRS. Please, keep checking the following information on how to amend your return; it will be updated once the 2018 form is released:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will still get the first original full refund (and keep it) or pay the first tax due.  You should not amend or change your return until you get the refund from the original return or your payment has cleared.  

The amended return will only show the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you owe on the Amended return you have to include a check.  But why do you say the correct amount should have been larger?  Then you say send cash with the 1040X?  Are you expecting more refund or to pay some of the original refund back?  Usually adding more income reduces your refund.

The 1040X form for 2018 hasn't been approved yet by IRS. Please, keep checking the following information on how to amend your return; it will be updated once the 2018 form is released:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

WillK
Intuit Alumni

When you file your 1040x, it is treated as a separate tax return which means that any refund that it states you are due will be sent to you in the method you select when you file the 1040x. The refund that was sent with your original return was for that return and is not expect to be paid back.

If when you file the 1040x, and there is a refund, you will receive that refund. If there is a balance due, you will be expected to pay that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies