Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." Exactly mean?

@Moni57 Sorry---you just have to wait it out.   But thanks for letting us know that you used H & R Block and are still waiting---since that might interest a few TurboTax users who still want to blame the software for the IRS delays.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What does "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." Exactly mean?

TurboTax does bear responsibility for the delay in the IRS refunds. The Recovery Rebate credit was implemented knowing fully well that the software had no way to verify that users were entering the correct data. This led to TT users entering incorrect or false data. Which in turn led to the IRS flagging millions of TT filed returns. 

What's going on with my taxes refund

@Chocolate 1 wrote:

What's going on with my taxes refund

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 24, 2021, we had 14.7 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Make sure if been forever you mail in a copy that's certified mail. Have it looked over first make sure nothing duplicated, because that can imply   extra incomes, on W2 sometimes the Electronic software may capture these too Many times which is probably why turbo taking a break after Covid. This is just a way to get it looked into and also calling.. I know when I uploaded my W2 my pics it reset like 6 times on DL and W2 to get the best picture. I mean seriously 😑 how do we know it didn't duplicate when a software fails to tell us. Also HR block of you file with them they have to fix this! Turbo is at your own risk unless you have their advisors help which costs extra. This is just my opinion. Probably have to track down 3 years with this year upcoming thanks to software and No real people and understaffing... Wonderful, but hey it's a start. Taxes now feel like a car part breaking we have to replace and lookup and see what's what. Wasn't always that Complicated*** they need a new system for real. 

-NM good luck 

Hello My name is Della Elizabeth Brown.And I mailed my income tax march 22,2021.Will I ever get my Federal income tax?I got a letter stating that it was processed.But then my state income tax was  supposedly for a Federal grant ,that I am the victim of identity theft.Della  Elizabeth Brown po box743Mabelvale,Arkansas72103

.please I need my money.

@Della Brown wrote:

Hello My name is Della Elizabeth Brown.And I mailed my income tax march 22,2021.Will I ever get my Federal income tax?I got a letter stating that it was processed.But then my state income tax was  supposedly for a Federal grant ,that I am the victim of identity theft.

.please I need my money.

This is a Public user community forum.  Please remove your name and address from your post.  Click on the three dots in the upper right of your message and Edit your post.

The IRS is taking months to process mailed tax returns.  There is nothing you or anyone else can do to speed up the process.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 17, 2021, we had 15.6 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Beckhamae

I’ve been “still processing” since may of 2020 and it’s my 2019 taxes…waiting on a 5382 dollar refund and I can’t get mine done for this year until it’s done. A total of 15,438 dollars all together I’m owed. 

@Beckhamae The IRS refund site is not showing information about 2019 returns.   It only shows information about 2020 returns.  Not sure why you think you cannot file your 2020 tax return----what are you waiting for?   You can file 2020---each tax year is separate.   You do not have to wait for your 2019 refund in order to file your 2020 tax return.

There have been a lot of delays for 2019  federal refunds.  Did you mail your return or e-file?

If you mailed it:

MAILED RETURNS

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

The IRS refund site is only showing information about 2020 refunds now so it will not show anything about your 2019 refund.

Or......

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

Does your TT account say that your return was accepted?  Or does it say something else—like “rejected”, “printed” or “ready to mail?”  If it does not say accepted then it was not filed unless you put it in an envelope yourself and mailed it.

TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

If your e-file was accepted:

The IRS refund site only displays information about 2020 refunds now, so you will not see any information there about your 2019 refund.

If you chose to have your fees deducted from your federal refund:

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
koodle84
Returning Member

July 8 2021 it was accepted but all it has said since is still being processed and a refund date will be available

@ koodle84 wrote:

July 8 2021 it was accepted but all it has said since is still being processed and a refund date will be available

That's not unusual.  For a number of reasons, the IRS is several million returns behind in processing, and it is taking a long time (weeks, even months) for many returns this year, especially if pulled for any manual review (which happens frequently this year.)    If the IRS WMR lookup tool changed from showing "being processed" to "still being processed," then that means it likely has been flagged for some manual review, in which case it is in a long queue.

Jimmi7734

Well I see it like this  when I was a week late on paying for a lost w-2that the tax preparer lost and was not covered under the gold plan , it was 1000.00 I owed initially . By the time I was finished it was 3000.00 plus I paid back to them threw payments ,and of course a penalty and because I had moved and it took awhile to find me as they said they put a levey on my accounts . So that cost me . During the payments I was late twice the first time they told me they could take me of payments if it was late again. The chewed me out like I was a kid . The second time they charged me more money  and said if it happened again they were taking me off and will want the full amount up front withing so many days . If I did not make that deadline they would or could take my house and auction it off and other assets bla bla so really I don't care what their excuse is mine is now 160 days late and I hope they have interest on it and maybe I'll go choose a part of a government building or something. Sound stupid ? Maybe . But I have no feeling for the government on this situation. Not after the way they treated me. I had a business for 22 years and this pandemic took it in one day it was over. It's ruined me and do u think I could get help or some of the other small businesses I work along , nope .  I have no respect for our government anymore and they should've been better prepared and made sure they could handle the work load .. As they told me I should've been more carful and went over what they had done. They can do what they want we are their sheep and those status excuses aren't even close to exepitable. They are there to make you think there's hope until they actually get you your taxes.  A first grader could've came up with a better plan to keep you informed. I can't believe I'm reading so many that are taking up for them .  The actual people working on our taxes ,I thank and appreciate their hard work but the government those that think they are running this country and think they are doing a good job and make these dum status excuses are whom I'm talking about. We need to be harder on them to straighten up and get things right cuz this year has been a total joke and seems to me is just another ploy to keep us begging and all our attention to this when they are really doing something else they don't want us to see and maybe if everyone would start to complain about these things it might help to change things for the better. Smh 

patrick_pina
Returning Member

I have been waiting for my tax refund for over 6 months. IRS has caused me and others on delays. Not really getting the answers on a date to get my refund. Behind on so many bills. We depend on our refund that money belongs to us. WHEN DO I EXPECT MY TAX REFUND?

@patrick_pina wrote:

I have been waiting for my tax refund for over 6 months. IRS has caused me and others on delays. Not really getting the answers on a date to get my refund. Behind on so many bills. We depend on our refund that money belongs to us. WHEN DO I EXPECT MY TAX REFUND?

As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

@patrick_pina Multiple users have posted to this thread----many of them have also been waiting for a long time for their refunds.   The IRS is severely backlogged.   No one in the user forum can tell you when you will receive your refund.  Return to your post and start scrolling up to read some of the other questions and replies to learn a few things about the IRS delays.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies