turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

baily1957
Returning Member

What does "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." Exactly mean?

I never got a bar just says still  being processed  will let me know avaliable  date  electronic  files  Feb 16 or 17 when should I get my refund  I don't understand 

What does "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available." Exactly mean?

I done file my taxes in February and it have been accepted but I got a letter saying my refund have changed but it was after may 27 and I still haven't got my refund yet I file on 02/10/2022 I e file it from cash app so what the problem with my refund I been waiting every scene February when it comeing to me

@MZSHAWTY   How much did they change your refund?  

The 2 most common reasons this year is you entered the wrong amount on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit (3rd Stimulus payment) or line 28 for the Child Tax Credit. Those lines are just if you didn't already get the full amount or qualify for more. The IRS knows what they already sent you.

A lot of people answered the questions wrong and tried to claim the credits again. Double check your bank statements to see what the IRS sent you during the year for the 3rd Stimulus payment and Advance Child Tax Credit. And check your IRS account (both accounts if married).
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

zoeboy128

when im getteing my refund date it say your tax return is still being processed a refund date will be provided when available

@zoeboy128 wrote:

when im getteing my refund date it say your tax return is still being processed a refund date will be provided when available

The IRS is taking 6 months and longer to process tax returns.

Go to this IRS website for the status of filed tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 8, 2022, we had 11.2 million unprocessed individual tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 1.9 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 9.3 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to December 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Only the IRS can tell you.  The IRS is taking a long time this year like 6 months or more.  Just be patient and keep waiting.

TGomez1
Returning Member

Not after 120 day review I have spoken with irs again and there is nothing holding my refund infact they "released" it on June 6th in the system but not to my account I am out of review and I only knew I was in review bc they told me back in April I received a notice by mail saying my refund was adjusted and if I agree do nothing by March 14th. July 14th I should have my refund? It's the 21st and now they tell me it's because my 3rd stimulus was sent back bc my account was closed March of 2021! 

I have been waiting  on my 2021 refund  for more than 8 months  after  calling  each day I still get  my we are still  processing,  are they that incompetent  that it takes this long  to make  a decision.Can you help?

@Ronniemoe28  wrote:

I have been waiting  on my 2021 refund  for more than 8 months  after  calling  each day I still get  my we are still  processing,  are they that incompetent  that it takes this long  to make  a decision.Can you help?

Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

Go to this IRS website for the status of tax returns filed in 2022 - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of October 7, 2022, we had 5.3 million unprocessed individual returns received this year. These include tax year 2021 returns and late filed prior year returns. Of these, 1.7 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 3.6 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers, but it does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. 

How long you may have to wait: We continue to process tax returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. For returns received in the current year, we process individual tax returns for which refunds are due first. Tax returns reflecting tax owed are processed last, but if a payment is mailed with the tax return, the payment is separated upon receipt and deposited to ensure the taxpayer account is credited for the payment. 

As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify you sent the tax return, we will send you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take more than 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and how quickly we can complete the processing of your return. Taxpayers are encouraged to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed. Whether you filed electronically or by paper, we will contact you by mail if we need more information or if we made a change to your return. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you are due a refund, filed on paper more than six months ago, and Where’s My Refund? does not indicate we received your return, you should resubmit your tax return, electronically if possible.

Make sure it includes an original signature, and include all documents submitted with the original return. Otherwise, please do not file your tax return again.  Check Where’s My Refund?, or view your account for possible updates.

If it takes longer than expected then support team advised to call TAX ADVOCATE - 1-877-777-4778, which resolved my issue. Call may take longer than expected for checking by IRS advocate. thanks to support team.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies