turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What do I do if Intuit TurboTax made a mistake on my taxes?

@dpkerr46 - can you provide more details on what occured?

the Turbo Tax guarentee only covers interest and penalties if the SOFTWARE is wrong.  It doesn't cover the taxes due.

also, it won't cover if the reason for the additional taxes due is because the user made an error entering one of the forms. 

dpkerr46
Returning Member

Was advised of a state return of over $2000 and now I owe close to $700. Errors in my state returns.

@dpkerr46 -- are you sure that isn't your federal return?  that is pretty close to $2800 difference and that would suggest the Recovery Rebate Credit on the federal return - line 30.

By more detail, I mean things like

1) what state

2) what line item(s) did the state adjust

3) was there a letter of explainatoin as to why they made an adjustment? can you share what the letter indicated? 

4) what is the EXACT amount of the adjustment?

First you need to figure out why the change happened and then if it is a program error you can put in for an accuracy guarantee :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/submit-claim-turb...

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

In 2020 turbo tax software was a complete disaster. Go over it with a fine tooth comb. I had to file an amendment but that was after arguing with turbo tax on their error the adamantly denied. When I demanded to know how to go into my files taxes, I changed the error, printed it out, signed it and 26 weeks later I’m finally getting what was owed to me. Even the irs said stay away from turbo tax because they are awful. They will be going after them at some point for the grand mess they created. They are buried in amended returns from 2020 because of turbo taxes software errors

@Chrys1 - I note you've posted about 20 times on this issue.... if Turbo Tax admits they were wrong are you good?  what is the point of belaboring this? 

tjludlum

the irs sent me a letter saying i am not getting my refund instead they sent me a bill for749.39

tjludlum

@tjludlum 

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
Or call 1-800-829-1954

If your refund is short then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account
If you are Married Filing Jointly also check your spouse's tax account.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

I earned $26,000 in 2022. Why do I owe $1400 in federal income tax

@2104 Sorry but the amount you earned is not enough information for us to answer you.  We cannot see your tax return, do not know your filing status, whether you have dependents, how much tax you had withheld from your paychecks, etc. etc. etc.

If this is drastically different from 2021, then compare your 2021 and 2022 returns side by side, line by line and see what is different.

And remember

There is no recovery rebate credit (stimulus $) for 2022.  The childcare credit is not refundable. The child tax credit is different.  And for some people, earned income is different because there is no “lookback” to an earlier year.  Those are some of the reasons your refund may be less.

And of course, always check your own data entries, looking for errors such as misplaced decimals or extra zeros.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/video-why-would-i-owe-federal-taxes/L3VXudPiN

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If you were not eligible for any other deductions or credits and are single, you would have taxable income of around $13,000. The first $10,275 would be taxed at 10%. The next $3,000 would be taxed at 12% which would be about $360. So you would add $1,027.50 to $360, which is close to $1,400.

Did you not have any taxes withheld from your wages?  If not, this is why you would owe $1,400. If you did have taxes withheld, you need to go back into your W-2 section and correct your entries. 

If your employer is not withholding enough taxes, you may want to complete a new W4 form for them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed  2021 year tax return through turbo tax file by mail.IRS found wrong calculation on taxable income tax on

amount. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

See the links below for Turbo Tax guarantees.

How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee or 100% Accurate, Expert Approved Guarantee?

What documents do I need to submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?
@rajpatel41

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m glad you took the time to count how many times I posted. Turbo tax was WRONG. They failed to admit it! The IRS even said turbo tax was wrong! I posted because no one should be subjected to this crap. How dare you condescend me! Your an idiot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies