turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved a letter from the IRS that says I owe them money but Turbo shows I to get a refund. I would like to speak with someone to explain this to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recieved a letter from the IRS that says I owe them money but Turbo shows I to get a refund. I would like to speak with someone to explain this to me.

Read the notice carefully and review your actual return ... did you make the payments listed ?  Did you forget to list a payment ? 

We changed your return because we found a difference between the amount of estimated tax payments on your tax return and the amount we posted to your account. You have a balance due because of these changes. The notice may also cover other changes we made while processing your return.   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp23-notice

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Only the IRS can tell you what they changed on your return.  What does the letter say?  What is the CP or LT # at the top?

I would check over your return and see if you can see anything wrong especially in the payments section 1040 Schedule 5.  Make sure you agree with all the amounts listed.   Like is the difference the same or close to the refund you got last year?  Maybe you put down that you applied last year's refund to this year?  Or you put down you made a payment with an extension or paid an estimated payment that you didn't make?

A common error is showing an estimated payment 1040 schedule 5 line 66 you didn't make or payment with an extension (line 71) you didn't send in.  Sometimes people start an extension form on purpose or accidentally and an amount gets entered for a tax due to send in with the extension.

Or you claimed Excess Social Security paid on line 72.  That happens when you are married and enter both spouse's W2s under the same name.

No one in the user forum can see your screen or your tax return, so we need a more specific question or description of your problem in order to help you.  Or you can wait for Monday and contact the Live help you are posting from.
You can arrange for the Live help you are paying the extra fee for with your questions from  5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday - Friday.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live">https...>

Thank you both, it is a CP23 letter. I dont remember the exact amount I was refunded for 2017, I believe $2000 give or take, would need to pull my documents.
2018 taxes show a refund of $3459 but this letter says I actually owe a little less that $300 to the IRS, huge difference. This is the first time I have prepared my own taxes. Hoping I didnt enter figures wrong.
I filed for an extension the day before the deadline because I didnt want to get penalized. It asked me the amount a paid in to the IRS (listed on my W2) and I believe an estimated amount if I owed them more? I enter 0.

Did you file an extension with a payment with the extension ?  If you did not check the return ... did it list one you did not make ?

Read the notice carefully and review your actual return ... did you make the payments listed ?  Did you forget to list a payment ? 

We changed your return because we found a difference between the amount of estimated tax payments on your tax return and the amount we posted to your account. You have a balance due because of these changes. The notice may also cover other changes we made while processing your return.   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp23-notice

I think I found the problem. I dont know how this was overlooked...
When I filed the extension I entered that I paid $3,733 to the IRS already, per my W2.
When I started the process of filing a few days later through turbo tax, it did not advise me to not to enter my federal income tax withheld amount. Turbo Tax had already entered this for me when I filed the extension.
My 1040 shows my total payments to the IRS were $7,466 (double the amount I actually paid in) which is not correct.
Do I need to do an amendment ^^^
I also filed a 1099 for 2018. Before I got the letter in the mail from the IRS I realized that I did not enter all my expenses. Everything I was reading advised not do an amendment until my return was approved or rejected.
Sorry! I have lots of questions.

^^^^^ should I file an amendment?

Well you did find the error ... that is good.  Since the IRS also found the error and sent you a bill NOW is the correct time to amend the return to reduce the balance due if possible.

I can do that through turbo tax right? Should I call them and tell them the situation?

Or am I okay to pay the amount and add the expenses to my 2019 taxes when I file next year? I just want this to be as simple as possible.

You must amend the 2018 return if you missed expenses ... you cannot wait and put 2018 deductions on the 2019 return.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276605">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276605</a>

Please edit your post and remove all that Personal Info!  This is a public user forum and it is not safe. You will get scammed, spammed and have your identity stolen!  Anyone could contact you and say they are from Turbo Tax and get your info.

Your only proof of a tax due payment is your bank account showing it coming out. Sounds like your bank account number was wrong and the IRS couldn't take the payment out.  You need to pay it yourself.

You can pay the IRS directly at

https://www.irs.gov/payments

Or here is a 1040V voucher slip

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

Thank you so much Volvo girl 

@Adampayne500  

First of all, this is a public web site visible to anyone using the internet which can include scammers and identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Your posted your name and address and some bank information. Please return to your post and click the three little blue dots on the upper right, so that you can edit and remove the sensitive personal information that is appearing here.

All you have shown with that screen shot above is that you paid your TurboTax fees.  You used Deluxe and prepared a state return for a total of $110  PLUS tax of $9.46----so you paid TurboTax its fees on 4-14-20.

You say "I paid my taxes on April 14"  There is nothing there that shows that you paid federal tax due.  When you look at your Form 1040--what does it say on line 23?  That is the line that shows if you owe tax to the IRS.  Did your Form 1040 show a refund on line 20?

If your federal return showed a refund on line 20, and the IRS is saying that you owe, then they must have changed something on your return--or they offset your refund for  a debt you owed. Did you owe any back taxes or child support?

Look at your tax return again.

RE-read the letter from the IRS.  If you do not understand it, you can call for support:

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies