Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hrbaldwin02
Returning Member

Turbotax sent my return to the wrong bank

This year I filed with Turbotax like usual, but when it was time to e-file I was not able to do so because of a problem matching stock transactions, a bug in the turbotax software.  So I had to paper file.  I printed my paper filed return and mailed it, now more than a month later I looked up my refund status which was a large amount (over $10K), and it shows that my refund was wired weeks ago.  But I didn't provide wiring instructions and assumed I would get a paper check refund.

I can see on a title page that my refund is maybe sent to a Chase Bank account that isn't my account and I have no idea how that account got in there or what is from.  I didn't add it, in fact I've had the same wiring with turbotax for years.  I can't get ahold of a real person to discuss what this is or why it might be where my over $10K return was sent.  I also paid the turbo tax fees by credit card.  The  whole thing is really troubling. Please help me, I can't get anyone at Turbo Tax to call me even though I paid for premium service.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax does not send your tax refund. The IRS sends your federal refund. The IRS does not send refunds by wire transfer.

Where did you look up your refund status that said it was wired? Look at Where's My Refund? on the IRS web site. What does it say?

Any bank information in your tax return in TurboTax had to have been entered by you, unless someone else knows your TurboTax password.

How do I contact TurboTax?

You need to contact the IRS and speak with an agent concerning this issue.

If you requested direct deposit of the tax refund and entered your bank routing and account number, that information will be on your Form 1040 Lines 35b and 35d.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

hrbaldwin02
Returning Member

So I have traced the source of the problem and it does lie with Turbo Tax and Turbo tax has my federal return money.

When I did my return using the online software, I used the function to download statements and in so doing automatically loaded a significant amount of data, including stock brokerage transactions.  When Turbo Tax then ran the error check on my return, the data downloaded was not recongized by the software for the zip code and couldn't match it and it couldn't be fixed.  I spent a significant amount of time online with the help team trying to remedy it (which is why I paid for Premium service).  They were not able to resolve the software glitch that wouldn't allow the zip code to be manually fixed.

At that point I was then unable to e-File, because the software wouldn't allow it with the zip code that wouldn't match and couldn't be fixed.  When I tried to e-file, I put in the option to have TurboTax deduct fees from my return, which unknowingly to me autopopulated my return with the Turbo Tax banking information, which is a Chase Bank account (I have no chase bank accounts).

When I had to revert to not being able to e-file, I then had to pay Turbo Tax with my credit card the fees just to be able to print my return, but the software didn't revert to my on file instructions for direct deposit to my own bank account and instead my return was mailed by me unknowingly with the Turbo Tax bank account information.  I was unaware it was on the return form and assumed when I paper filed, a check would just be mailed to me.  Only today after logging onto the IRS website and finding my return money was sent weeks ago, did I realize something was drastically wrong.

I have done research and found others who had their full returns sent to the Turbo Tax bank account instead of their own, and their description matches the Chase bank on my return.

I would like to understand who I can contact to get my tax return money returned to me.  I am lucky that my State had a change to my State return, and I now have an opportunity to amend the direct deposit instructions.

What investment company do you use?  One poster found this.....
"The refund was sent to a bank I didn't recognize because Schwab where I have an account uses an intermediary bank, JP Morgan/Chase. So the refund was in my Schwab account which has little activity and I had not checked. I had not had a refund in so long, I did not remember the default account I had set up years ago for refunds."

hrbaldwin02
Returning Member

The routing number and bank information are for thr bank Turbo Tax uses to process deduct from my refund.  It's not something I put on the form.  I will hire a lawyer if I can't get a response it's too much money for their system to keep.

If you mailed your return and didn't efile or use the Refund Processing Service to pay the fees that sounds highly  unlikely and no one has ever posted that before.  That bank is Santa Barbara Tax Products Group or SBTPG.  You can contact them.   Who provides Pay with my Refund?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-refund/provides-pay-refund/L5AS1LUIV...

hrbaldwin02
Returning Member

Yes their routing number with Chase and account number was auto populated to my return when I selected that option.  But then subsequently when I changed it because I could not e file it was NOT reverted by the software.  Turbo Tax and their affiliate has my money.  I can prove it.  I need to speak with someone at Turbo Tax to get my refund since it's your affiliate and my contract for services is with you.

hrbaldwin02
Returning Member

Please provide me a human at Turbo Tax to speak with.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies