turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Refund advance

If you qualify for Refund Advance and are approved for the Turbo Visa Debit Card, you’ll be notified by email of the approved amount and you’ll be able to start spending online, typically within 48 hours of the IRS accepting your return.

Here is more information about the Refund Advance process:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/about-the-refund-advance-application-process/00/25557

If you have further questions, Please contact Turbo Prepaid Visa Card for questions about your card or account. You can contact them by visiting TurboPrepaidCard.com or call toll-free at (888) 285-4169.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Refund advance

I am trying to apply for the refund advance. It says after being accepted it can, but how do I go back to it

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Refund advance

When it says after being accepted, this is referring to after the IRS accepts your return then you will receive an email to let you know if you have been approved or denied. 

For more information on the refund advance, please click here

Refund advance

This number is all you need if you have any adv questions. Try it first its free dont pay them to get this number.

Refund advance

The fact is that it isnt applying for a line of credit, a loan or anything, Its literally a loan against your refund which they already Approve you based on guidelines of making sure your refund is enough to cover the loan and the other guidelines they set forth. It makes no sense for Green Dot to then Deny you as long as you have met the Criteria that TurboTax used to Approve you and once your refund is accepted by the IRS. Its messed up have someone thinking they are getting an advance just to turn around and deny them. and based on what? the fact that anyone agrees with this process is crazy. Green dot is the one who will be processing your refund and putting it on the card so they are fully able to take the loaned amount back before crediting the rest to your card so it really makes no sense to me why if approved they then can separately deny you SMH. such a let down 

Refund advance

@arletmate322 @This is what I’ve been screaming since I got my “denial” emails. The entire process is a lie and to make matters worse NO ONE should be denied. Like you said it’s not a line of credit, they are taking it from your taxes. Taxes that are approved by the government and will go to them before coming to you. So why are you denied ever. Bull **bleep**. 

Refund advance

It is a LOAN  pure and simple. 

The fact that you are pledging to repay the LOAN using the federal refund doesn't make it any less a LOAN.   

Your return was never APPROVED when you filed it ... it was only  ACCEPTED for processing.  The refund will not be released until your return goes thru the IRS processing and it is APPROVED for release.  The bank making the loan is not certain if you will really get the refund you filed for or when that refund will be released (since the IRS no longer issues a debt indicator like in prior years) ... so they are making a loan based on any information they deem necessary. And that is  spelled out  in the contract that you signed and agreed to if you care to read it. 

If you are denied the loan then they will send you the reason for the denial just like any other denied loan required by law. 

Refund advance

@Critter 

Thanks for spelling it out. Clearly some of us are very upset about the situation and not just being denied but the confusion surrounding it. Of course it is a loan and while I do understand that, it does not make the situation any less frustrating when the information provided is inaccurate and confusing - to clearly a lot of people. 

In none of the fine print did it state that the denial letter would take 30 days. It did however dance around in large fonts through several pages how approval or denial will be provided within an hour of federal acceptance. 

My issue is not with the denial or the fact it’s a loan or not a loan. It is frustrating to not know what caused you to be denied. Even more so that my denial came from Greendot before my federal refund had even been accepted. Meaning the information turbo presents (and all the fine print they throw at you) does not anywhere clearly detail the loan process. And that is why everyone on this forum and so many others are complaining. 

Refund advance

If greendot rejected the loan application before the IRS accepted the return then they had other issues with your situation... one place does say you must be approved by them ...

2019 loan 3.jpg

FYI ....  all the banks that make these "refund anticipation"  loans talk to each other ... did you already take out a loan with another tax prep company using the info on the 2019 return?  Do you have issues with other banks like being behind on payments?  Until you get the rejection letter you will not know for sure what happened. 

Refund advance

Except that green dot doesn’t actually deny. The notice just came from then when explaining the issuing of the card. First Century makes the decision and they send the letter, but it takes up to 30 days. Which is not clearly stated on turbo’s website. My initial complaint here or question really was to try to understand if the green dot email - that was extremely vague was the denial because turbo does not clearly explain the process.

I can’t speak for everyone else who has issues with this tax advance but I am not stupid. So no I did not try to take two or more advances on a single return and my credit is excellent. 

Again, issue is the frustration in not knowing and the lack of actual help from any of the parties involved. 

I attempted to get the advance this year because turbo tax was advertising it. Thought why not ehh, then I receive a vague email before the IRS has even accepted my taxes and turned to this forum to see if anyone had any idea how it all worked. 

No one does and that is the issue.

I’ll find out when I do receive my actual email from First Century and at this point it doesn’t even matter clearly. Just frustrated, along with more than half of these forum posters, on the lack of information surrounding the advance. It is vague and NO ONE knows anything more than the vague info on the sites. 

Also stuck with a green dot card - that in and of itself has a review of problems. So I’m not a happy customer. 

Next year I will just file my return regularly as I always have and avoid all of this. Hopefully turbo will take into account the level of inaccuracies in their information and update accordingly for those who do need the advance. 

Refund advance

I got the same email and I am so frustrated. Why was I denied and why is there nobody that I can talk to! 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Refund advance

Refund Advance application process. Click on How will I know if I'm approved for Refund Advance and how long does it usually take? https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/about-the-refund-advance-application-process/00/25557

Jenn2783

Refund advance

I was pre approved and then denied, and never got an email for the denial. I figured it had possibly something to do with my student loan, I think it's funny that when the turbo tax rep went over the qualifications that was never said and also nothing about taxes getting approved before February 7th. Which brings up the question how is anybody getting approved of the irs didn't even start accepting to Feb 13??  O think it's all just a bs ploy to sick you in and lock you in to getting their **bleep** card .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies