While completing your taxes with TurboTax®, you may have the opportunity to apply for Refund Advance provided by First Century Bank, N.A. Member FDIC1 on a Turbo Prepaid Visa Card issued by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC.
If you’re expecting a federal refund after completing your taxes with TurboTax, you may have the opportunity to apply for Refund Advance provided by First Century Bank N.A., Member FDIC, at the time you choose your refund method. If approved, the Refund Advance will be disbursed on a Turbo Prepaid Visa Card issued by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC (First Century Bank, N.A. is not affiliated with Intuit or Green Dot Bank).
Refund Advance is a loan based upon your refund and is not the refund itself. To apply for Refund Advance, you must e-file your taxes with TurboTax and select Refund Advance on a Turbo Prepaid Visa® Card for your disbursement method. Availability of the Refund Advance is subject to satisfaction of identity verification, certain security requirements, eligibility criteria, and underwriting standards.1
If the Refund Advance offer is available to you, you will be able to select it in the Your refund info step of the File section. Here’s an example of what you’ll see if you have the opportunity to apply for a Refund Advance.
You must completely fill out your tax return, including entering your tax forms (like a W2 or a 1099), before you can apply for Refund Advance.
If you have already filed your taxes, you cannot apply for Refund Advance.
Unfortunately, you cannot apply for Refund Advance after you file your taxes.
You will not be eligible for the offer if:
- Your physical address is located outside of the United States or is in a U.S. territory, is a PO box, or is located in a prison.
- Your physical address or the tax returns you are filing is in one of the following states: IL, NC, and VT.
- You are less than 18 years old.
- The tax return is on behalf of a deceased person.
- You are filing Forms 1310, 1040SS, 1040PR, 1040X, 8888, or 8862.
- Your expected federal refund amount is less than $1,000.
- You are using any of our tax products where a professional is completing your taxes.
- You are not approved by Green Dot Bank to receive a Turbo Prepaid Visa Card.1
No. There’s no credit check required to get the Turbo Prepaid Visa Card or to apply for Refund Advance.
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
This means that when you open an account (like your Turbo Prepaid Visa Card), we’ll ask for:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Other information that allows us to identify you
We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents. Opening your account may be subject to other fraud prevention measures.
No, applying for Refund Advance loaded on a Turbo Prepaid Visa Card won’t impact your credit score.
If you qualify for Refund Advance and are approved for the Turbo Prepaid Visa Card1, you’ll be notified by email of the approved amount and you’ll be able to start spending online, typically within 48 hours of the IRS accepting your return.
We'll email you instructions on how to set up your Turbo Card account to start spending online.
Your Turbo Card will arrive in the mail within 5–10 business days. The temporary card info will work for 15 days or until you activate your physical Turbo Prepaid Visa Card, which will arrive within 5 to 10 business days of IRS acceptance and loan approval.
The rest of your refund (minus any TurboTax fees) will be loaded on the same Turbo Card as your Refund Advance, typically within 21 days from IRS acceptance. You’ll be able to spend the money anywhere Visa is accepted in the U.S. This includes physical and online stores.
If you weren’t approved, you will receive an email from First Century Bank, N.A. with the general reason for denial and contact information if you have additional questions about the decision.
Unfortunately, you did not meet the qualification criteria for the Refund Advance. First Century Bank NA will send you an email explaining why you weren’t eligible for the Refund Advance.
If you didn’t pre-qualify for Refund Advance, it may be because:
- Your federal refund was not $1,000 or more.
- You did not agree to all the Refund Advance terms and conditions.
- You owed the U.S. Government or your State.
- You had debt enforced by a State such as, but not limited to, child support obligations, past student loans, tax liens, and any other payments owed to a Federal or State agency.
- You did not pass the lender’s final evaluation. Subject to review of third-party information.
If you don’t qualify, you’ll receive an email confirming you won’t receive a Refund Advance. It will include information about why you were not eligible for a Refund Advance. Your federal refund (minus any other agreed upon fees) will be loaded onto a Turbo Prepaid Visa Card.1