turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Garywla

Where’s my federal refund?

I filed May 2 and still have not received by refund. I received my Arizona refund 3 weeks ago.

@Garywla wrote:

I filed May 2 and still have not received by refund. I received my Arizona refund 3 weeks ago.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 17, 2021, we had 15.6 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

I have not received my federal refund that was accepted in early April.  Who can I talk to to find out way my refined check is not processed and when I can expect my refund

@Pkingston  Scroll up from your question in this thread and read the thread.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I know how you feel I still have not received my refund for 2020.  Which turbo tax guarantees your money. Also they sent me a email TURBO TAX that they were billing my account for their services and it’s almost August. What is that

If the IRS is taking too long to send your refund or reduces it see.....
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/what-if-my-federal-refund-isn-t-enough-to-cover-my-t...

Then when the IRS does send your refund they won't take the fees out again.

And, Why you got charged,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

You should have received about 4 emails asking for the fees. If you don't pay they will debit your account. You had to agree to it. Check your spam folder for emails.

You should of received your refund this month? If not you should get it soon. Turbo has the right to take their fee like they have others that hadn't received their refund. I think that they waited just as long as we have to take our fees out. If you read contract they have the right to collect their fees. 

I still haven't received mine and its been almost 6 months since I filed ...still haven't figured out why I havent gotten it 

@NancyHerrera40 wrote:

I still haven't received mine and its been almost 6 months since I filed ...still haven't figured out why I havent gotten it 

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 17, 2021, we had 15.6 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Turbo Tax confirmed my amended Federal return was accepted on April 29. However, the IRS website indicates they are not processing a return and to contact my software provider. TurboTax indicates the IRS accepted my return. I created an account on the IRS website and it doesn't show anything pending either. If the IRS website showed I should wait that is fine but I fear they don't even have the amended return. What should I do? How can I confirm my 1040x form was submitted to the IRS?

I just found this and the amended return showed up. Its a separate page on IRS website to look up status of an amended return.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

@JaMc70  I went to that page but won't tell me anything cause I wasn't told to amend our return in order to get refund on taxes paid on unemployment. Can't get information if you wasn't told to amend tax form.

@flamingo1953 If you are asking about the extra refund for unemployment----

The IRS is not “amending” your tax return.   There is not a Form 1040X being prepared.  The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-and-deductions/help/am-i-eligible-for-a-new-credit-or-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I know that the IRS sent out letters stating that you don't have to do anything, meaning amending,  to our tax forms. I understand that they are going to send more refunds out this month. I know our taxes was as simple as they get but yet we had to wait until July to get our refund on 2020 taxes and now for my unemployment so there isn't any certain way the IRS is refunding taxes back.

I know I e-filed on March 20th. Mine kept saying still processing for MONTHS. Last month I finally called a tax advocate bc the wait was getting ridiculous. Almost a month after talking to the advocate I finally got an update and my refund has been approved. The sad thing is the interest the irs had to pay me was only 100 dollars! My transcript says they didn't even receive my tax return until a month after I filed smh. It's very frustrating but if it has been months call a tax advocate. The wait on the phone wasn't long and they were able to tell me where I was in the process and how much longer it should take. There is a place on the irs website after you log into your account that you can click on and see if they have sent you any notices concerning your tax return. They never sent me any.

Manage cookies