Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find my IRS confirmation number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

I'm not sure exactly what it is that you want.  Please define what you mean by the term.

The IRS stopped using a declaration control number (DCN) for efiled returns several years ago.   Is someone like a mortgage loan company asking you for something?

Or are you referring to a payment confirmation number such as when paying taxes at EFTPS or IRS Direct Pay?

Or are you referring to a page called "Electronic Postmark" that TurboTax provides after efiling?   It shows efile dates.

freepak
Returning Member

I think the question was very clear!  Why noit answer it?

@freepak wrote:

I think the question was very clear!  Why noit answer it?

There is no such IRS confirmation number.  The IRS does not send you any type of confirmation number when using tax preparation software to e-file your tax return.  When the IRS either accepts or rejects your e-filed tax return you will receive an email from TurboTax for the acceptance or the rejection.

When you download the PDF or your tax return after it has been accepted, there will be a Postmark Report which will have the date/time the tax return was transmitted and the date it was accepted by the IRS.

freepak
Returning Member

In years past, a confirmation from turbo that IRS received and accepted return was received very soon after filing.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

If you went through the entire return and got a message that your return was successfully filed, you should not have to do anything else. Most returns are being accepted within 24-48 hours, however, some may take longer. Unfortunately, TurboTax has no control over how long the IRS takes to accept the returns once they are transmitted. To check the e-file status of your return, please click here for instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@usernameishere The confirmation number you would enter here is the number you received after making a payment through IRS Direct Pay.  If you didn't save your confirmation number,  you will need to contact the IRS for further assistance.  Go here for steps to reach a live IRS agent when you call.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax offered to set up Direct Pay for me. Why didn't they provide a confirmation number then? I WOULD'VE DONE THIS THROUGH THE IRS PORTAL IF I KNEW I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TRACK IT THROUGH TURBOTAX!

@ryantaxtryan wrote:

TurboTax offered to set up Direct Pay for me. Why didn't they provide a confirmation number then? I WOULD'VE DONE THIS THROUGH THE IRS PORTAL IF I KNEW I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TRACK IT THROUGH TURBOTAX!

You must have misunderstood something.  TurboTax in no way can access the IRS payment portal and Direct Pay on your behalf.

You may be thinking of the option to pay the federal taxes owed by direct debit from your bank account where you are asked to enter your bank routing and account numbers in the program for Direct Debit.  That information is sent with your e-filed federal tax return and the IRS debits your account.

Ok ... now we are getting to the meat of the issue ... TT makes no payments and thus gives no confirmation codes out.

What happens is the payment request is sent to the fed/state with your return and they are the ones to initiate the payment.  Your only confirmation of said payment is on your bank/CC statement.  If you set up a payment for 7/15 then it could take several days for the payment to be completed as it does every year at the deadline as they are inundated with requests.  

How you chose to pay the taxes owed will be on the Filing Instructions page included with your tax return.

Sign onto your TurboTax online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down and click on Add a State.  This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

Re: where do I find my confirmation number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

for what - payment through IRS direct pay? once you leave the confirmation page I don't think it's available any longer. however, you can check to see if the IRS got your payment

https://www.irs.gov/payments

click on the block that says view your account. 

[number removed]

@EApodaca1978 

This is a public user community forum.   You should not post any personal info in this forum.   You can remove the number you posted by clicking the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your comment and then choosing EDIT.

That being said, what do you need help with?    You need to provide a complete question and provide enough info that lets people know what you need to do, but do not post any personal info in this public Internet forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies