turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will turbotax allow texas residents to file after 5/17/21 but before 6/15/21 per IR-2021-43, February 22, 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

When will turbotax allow texas residents to file after 5/17/21 but before 6/15/21 per IR-2021-43, February 22, 2021?

Yes. TurboTax allows e-filing as long as the IRS does, which is through mid-October (because some taxpayers file extensions).

Individuals and businesses affected by the Texas winter storms will have until June 15, 2021 to file returns and pay any taxes. This includes 2020 individual and business returns normally due on April 15, as well as various 2020 business returns due on March 15.

Among other things, this also means that affected taxpayers will have until June 15 to make 2020 IRA contributions.

The June 15 deadline also applies to quarterly estimated income tax payments due on April 15 and the quarterly payroll and excise tax returns normally due on April 30.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would like to file now and schedule an auto debt for what I owe June 10, 2021.  Turbotax gives me an error message saying the date is out of range. Any insight when Turbotax will update their software?

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

The software has been updated with the latest IRS information, if you are still not able to pay through TurboTax, please see this FAQ, What if I can't pay my taxes? - TurboTax

Turbotax will not let me schedule an automatic debit for June 10, 2021.  I get an error message saying the date has to be before May 17.  The IRS has extended the due date for TX, LA, and OK until June 15.  I don't think Turbotax is updated per the extension for TX, LA, and OK.  Does anyone have any insight on when Turbotax will be updated?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please check back as we currently do not have an estimated date for when the software will be updated for state tax deadlines. For more information, please see the below TurboTax Blog Articles:

I am not asking about state income taxes.  I am asking when Turbotax might be updated to allow residents of TX, LA, or OK to file their federal income taxes before June 15 instead of May 17 per TX-2021-02, February 22, 2021. Thanks

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

At this time we do not have an update if this will be updated in TurboTax. You can set up payments on IRS.gov.

@davidw314159

jehjay

I'm a Texas resident that was affected by the storms. How do I affirm with the IRS that I am eligible for the extension of tax filing to June 15?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@jehjay  You will be able to file up until June 15, and you will not need to file an extension.  However, if you file now and have a tax due, the system cannot postpone the payment past May 17.  Therefore, if this is your situation, you may either:

1. Wait until after May 17th to file, and have your payment taken the first available day after your return is processed
  2. File before June 15th, and use the printed vouchers to mail-in payments (no penalties will be assessed)
  3. If you file now and wish to have a payment drafted from your account after May 17th but by June 15th, you will need to set up that payment using IRS DirectPay or EFTPS.

With all of the tax law changes this year, this was one the program couldn't adapt for by the end of the year. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

chris_in_texas
Returning Member

I know that there were many changes to tax laws, but it is very poor service by Intuit to not have captured this. The revised due date due to winter storms was issued in late-February (three months ago) and impacted tax filers in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. This affects almost 40,000,000 people or about one in eight people in the US. Granted, not that many tax returns, but still, almost one in eight.

This should have been changed in TTax well before now- looks like Intuit is just going to turn their backs on a large number of taxpayers. I will remember that when I am selecting tax software for 2021.

pkflyertx

Why is the extended filing deadline not reflected in TurboTax? Everything talks about May 17.

I was told by my CPA that texas has til 6/15/2021 to file because of the snowstorm. Why hasn't turbotax updated the date for us for filing. 

Or did we need to file an extension?

sherryclark1978
Returning Member

i have not got my 600 stimless yet when will i get it its been since 5/17/2021 thats all im waiting on

juliejz

I saw the disclosure about payment methods, but entered my bank information anyway to see if there was an update.  At no time during the process did it stop me and say that it would not autodebit my payment.  I have paid on the IRS site, but is there any reassurance that I won't be autodebited by turbotax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies