Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6419 Information please?

Is this just noting if I lived in the US for more than half of 2021?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Principal place of abode? 
where did you live in 2021. In the US 6 months or more or not?

Form 6419 for those with dependents to report the advanced child tax credit payment they received in 2021. 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax link below for information regarding the 6419 Letter:

IRS Letters 6419 and 6475 for the Advance Child Tax Credit and Third Stimulus: What You Need to Know

I have never applied for Child Tax Credit and am not eligible for such.  I also did not get a letter 6419, however on my final check in Turbo Tax filing it tells me there is a error and I need to enter an amount for Child Tax Credit.  I have no idea what to do next and no information on the filing 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Something may be carrying over from a prior year that is triggering this question. It may be best to delete this and then run Review again.

Here are the directions to delete Form 2441 from your return.  This will delete both the form and the entries.  If it rebuilds, sometimes there is another form recreating it and both have to be deleted to clear that information. In TurboTax Online:

1. To Delete a Form, go to the black menu bar on the left
  2. Click on Tax Tools
  3. Click on Tools
  4. Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a Form
  5. Scroll down and check for Form 2441 and if there is one, click on Delete
  6. Click on the blue Delete Selected Form
  7. At the bottom, Continue
  8. At the bottom, Continue with my Return

After that is clear, please return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

Please follow these steps to indicate you did not receive any advanced payments:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit”
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and select "No".
  4. Continue through the questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

In the Black tool bar there is no Tax Tools . There is only Tools. Clicking Tools does not open Other helpful links.  So, how do I delete this child credit form. Mom was 93 and died in 2021. There are not child credits to get. Also, I assume the same issue will arise when I compete my return. My wife and I have no children at home. We are in our 60's and 70's.

@Jakmakjr wrote:

In the Black tool bar there is no Tax Tools . There is only Tools. Clicking Tools does not open Other helpful links.  So, how do I delete this child credit form. Mom was 93 and died in 2021. There are not child credits to get. Also, I assume the same issue will arise when I compete my return. My wife and I have no children at home. We are in our 60's and 70's.

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Thanks!! It worked

TurboTax's sloppy code writing to hook users in spending more time online with TurboTax. 

IC7
Returning Member

What is Advance child tax credit payments received from letter 6419 taxpayer?

@IC7 If you do not have any dependent children under the age of 18   on a 2020 or 2021 tax return then it does not apply to you.

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

Please follow these steps to indicate you did not receive any advanced payments:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit”
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and select "No".
  4. Continue through the questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies