turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hayslipm

What if my refund isnt in my account yet, when it says it would be delivered by today. I chose the elctronic deposit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Heather14

What if my refund isnt in my account yet, when it says it would be delivered by today. I chose the elctronic deposit.

When the status of your refund is Refund Sent, it means the IRS has sent your refund to your financial institution for direct deposit. This status will tell you when your refund was sent to your bank. It may take your financial institution 1 – 5 days to deposit the funds into your account. Please wait until it’s been five days from the date we sent the refund to your bank to check with your bank about the status of your refund. This time frame is provided to allow for the variations in how and when banks deposit funds.  If you haven't received your refund in your account after the 5 day waiting period, you can call the IRS. IRS representatives will be able to research the status of your refund if your return was accepted (received) more than 21 calendar days ago. The number to call them at is 1-800-829-1040, but prepare yourself for a potentially long wait times.

Please see the following IRS link for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Tax-Season-Refund-Frequently-Asked-Questions

I see.. it just may take a few days for irs to be notified that the refund that they sent through direct deposit won't go through to an account netspend said does not exist which then maybe irs will notify me that I should expect a paper check..but not yet so far..so I am guessing Turbo Tax has already gotten their money then somehow. It is all a guess and wait and see.

In this instance it says my state return was deposited on Friday 2/14, here it is Monday three days later and I see nothing, please help me understand.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

It can take up to 5 business days for your bank to deposit your tax return into your account. If the status in Where’s My Refund? shows “Refund Sent”, the IRS has sent your tax refund to your bank for direct deposit. If you don't receive it in after 5 business days, then you should contact your bank. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kaachangg

I haven't received my state tax and the estimated date was on 02/19. I chose electronic deposit too. Should I call IRS, my bank or just wait it out?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Give it a few more days. Sometimes it takes your bank a few days to process your refund into your account. 

If your refund takes longer and you do not receive it refer to the link below for help with contacting the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/what-if-my-irs-refund-is-taking-longer-than-21-...

Same still waiting for mine to show on my account. Did you get yours?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If your return has been accepted and you have a direct deposit date showing on the Where's My Refund? site, it will also tell you what to do if you don't receive your refund within a certain amount of days. You would first want to reach out to your banking institution if it's past the given amount of days. Then, you can also call the IRS directly to check on your refund status:

When will I get my IRS tax refund

Karenvon

My refund hasn't been posted to my bank yet and it has been over a month

@Karenvon wrote:

My refund hasn't been posted to my bank yet and it has been over a month

What is the status of the federal tax refund as shown on the IRS website for Federal tax refunds? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

I have received my state refund on  3/25/2021  by direct deposit. I have not received my federal refund.  The  IRS responds with, they are processing it, that has  been the response for a month

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

According to this IRS update as of May 7th:     

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 30, 2021, we had 1 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 30, 2021, we had 17.1 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

thanks

deeG
Level 2

My 2019 refund was never deposited into my account. I sent a paper file in, but electronically deposited my refund.

Where's my refund doesn't work and I have even called my bank. I cannot get IRS on the phone nor can get someone to answer to get an appt.  What to do?? It has now been 1 1/2 year since I filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies