Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mom218

What can I submit for proof that my kids lived with us all year last year?

My husband and I have been married since before all our kids were born (3 kids). All the kids are our biological kids. No one has ever been divorced or seperated or lived anywhere but with us as a family and we have always claimed them, so I really don't understand why this is being questioned at all. Here is my problem though, we homeschool, we own our house, we don't go to a church, and no one went to the doctor last year (kids went in Dec '20 and Jan '22....of course). Could I use my own homeschool records even if they aren't reported to anyone? I don't know what to do or why this is happening.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Who is asking for proof?   Did you receive some sort of letter from the IRS or state?   What exactly does it say?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS does random audits to "keep us all accountable" so you probably did nothing wrong except being unlucky. 

See IRS Form 14815-A here

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14815a.pdf

if it is the IRS (unlikely to be your state) asking for proof then things like pictures of their room with you and your husband in the picture with them, medical bills (even 2020 and 2022) you paid for them or a letter from their doctor, signed affidavits of neighbors that the kids live with you, birth certificates, etc. the notice should contain these suggetions so if it does not be wary.

you may want to file an identity theft affidavit for each of your kids. the scenario I'm thinking of is that someone got hold of their IDs (SSN) and filed a return claiming them. you also filed claiming them. thus the IRS has two returns claiming the same kids. 

could both you and your spouse have filed tax returns for the same year?  

Mom218

Yes, it's the IRS. I had called a couple weeks ago since we still hadn't gotten our return (sent in February) and they said we would be receiving this letter but didn't say what they were auditing. I assumed it would just be my small business, which is no big deal, I keep detailed records. However, they sent Form 14815-A (Request for Supporting Docs to Prove the CTC) and form 886-H-DEP (Request for Supporting Docs for Dependents) and form 886-H-EIC (Request for Documents you need to claim EIC based on Qualifying Child). As for what the Letters are requesting, it's very specific. It needs their SSN cards AND their birth certificates AND proof of residency (that we all lived together) AND proof that my husband and I paid for things for them AND some type of documentation on official letterhead from like a school or court or something.

Yep ... I call that the scavenger hunt notice so do the best you can. The IRS has the right to question anything on any return at anytime.  Respond as if this was a "word question" on a final exam ... give short consise answers and refer the attached documents for instance 1) see attached SS cards (remember only send copies ... never originals as they will not be returned).

If you filed a joint return then the entire support situation is immaterial if this was your child who lived with you ... do your best.

Even home schooling has some kind of records as you have to follow some kind of curriculum and testing schedule.  

Read those forms carefully ... watch for the little words ...  note  that some proof is on all the  lists ... you so not need to send them multiple times.2.jpg

3.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies