Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to add password to tax return

I have turbotax premier.  I have been unable to add a password to a tax return.  The first message indicated password is case sensitive and have a mini length of 8 and max of 32.  I try again.  Then I get a message that said Turbo Tax Premium for security, your answer should be between 6 and 16 characters.  Still no luck.  I AM NOT TRYING TO RESET A PASSWORD.  I AM TRYING TO ADD A PASSWORD TO A TAX RETURN THAT I FINISHED SEVERAL DAYS AGO.  I HAVE MADE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS. HELP HELP HELP

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had the same issue.  I resolved it by selecting another secret question.  My answer at 7 chars was longer than my previous 5 char answer which was causing the problem apparently.  Not apparent that the prompt is for the secret question as well as the password.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance with the issue you are experiencing.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The software is not working properly.   I have used TurboTax for numerous years and have never had a problem adding a password to a return.  Intuit's automated system is ridculous. 

@Jogger wrote:

The software is not working properly.   I have used TurboTax for numerous years and have never had a problem adding a password to a return.  Intuit's automated system is ridculous. 

Assuming you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions -

What happens when you click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen and click on Password?  Does the Password window open?

Yes, the password window does open.  When I type in a password, I get the massage Case Sensitive, password should have a mini length of 8 and max of 32.  I try again and get the message Turbo Tax Premier - for security reasons, your answer should be between 6 and 16.  Still no luck.  Very frustrating and no one at TurboTax has been able to help me.  I have uninstalled the soft and re-installed.  Still no luck.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are using the Download/Desktop version, you will need to make sure you have updated your software.  To manually update for Windows, please see the Help Article here.  For Mac, please see this Help Article.  

@Jogger 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had the same issue.  I resolved it by selecting another secret question.  My answer at 7 chars was longer than my previous 5 char answer which was causing the problem apparently.  Not apparent that the prompt is for the secret question as well as the password.

Thank you so much.  It worked.  I changed my security question.

OlderThanDirt51
Returning Member

I had the same problem.  I used the same password that has worked for YEARS, but couldn't get it to save.  Changed the Security Question to seven or more characters and it worked.  Bad documentation!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies