turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eassimak

TurboTax messed up my return

Hello,

I filed my 2017 taxes with turbotax and got a refund back. I just got a letter in the mail from the irs asking for money paid back plus interest due to an issue in calculating one of my credits. This is something that turbo tax did and I had no control in the calculations as I entered in all the information properly and turbo tax said I was supposed to get a credit that I was not supposed to get.  Is turbo tax liable or should they be paying for these charges? I already received the money years ago and it has been spent, doesnt seem right that I should have to pay for something TT messed up on

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

We cannot comment or speculate on whether you qualified for the credit--you have provided no specific details.  We cannot see your tax return or access your account.

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
eassimak

I am just wondering if there is a place to get support and if turbo tax would owe me the money to pay these fees for an improperly filed return on the behalf of turbo tax. If so where to contact the person

You were just given a link to get help with the letter from the IRS.  And....no one knows at this point if TT made a mistake or if it was user error. ( Usually it is user error.)  If TurboTax's calculations were not accurate there is an accuracy guarantee.  TT never pays your extra tax owed, but if TT's mistake led to penalties they will pay them.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

You can also call customer support.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time  Monday-Friday

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you tell us WHICH credit the IRS is questioning and maybe we can help you understand what is happening ... and did they also change something else like income ?

Jaz97

I had something similar happen as well. When I signed into the app it was prompting me to fix info on my past returns. I’m not sure why? So I had to dig up my old papers to get the info it was wanting. Keep in mind i wasn’t able to file for this years return until I had fixed these past ones. This has never happened before. But I figured I was doing it correctly. Somehow TT ended up filing my past returns with this new one. I just got a letter from the IRS telling me about these errors and how I made over 10k within a year? That’s not right. And it added a credit that I’m not supposed to have. So when I log in to TT it says my return was accepted. When I call the IRS it says it was accepted and I haven’t been able to get ahold of an actual person for either number. 

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Since your e-filed return has been accepted, you can amend your return to correct the error. Please see below for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

If you need additional assistance please feel free to contact customer support. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I file my taxes with Turbotax in February 2022 and now its July 2022 still nothing from the IRS. I received a letter from the IRS saying i made 75.000.00 total gross income, really on a part time Janitor job that i started on August 16, 2021. And they said my dependant info social security number was wrong,i didn't use a dependant on my taxes this year. Turbotax messed up my Taxes. I paid a lot of money for Turbotax to mess up Taxes.

@BigBoy65 wrote:
I file my taxes with Turbotax in February 2022 and now its July 2022 still nothing from the IRS. I received a letter from the IRS saying i made 75.000.00 total gross income, really on a part time Janitor job that i started on August 16, 2021. And they said my dependant info social security number was wrong,i didn't use a dependant on my taxes this year. Turbotax messed up my Taxes. I paid a lot of money for Turbotax to mess up Taxes.

You received a generic letter from the IRS concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit you claimed on Line 30 of your federal tax return, Form 1040.

If you indicated that you did Not receive the 3rd stimulus payment in 2021 then the Recovery Rebate Credit of $1.400 was entered on your tax return Line 30.

The IRS has records which show that the 3rd stimulus payment was sent to you so the IRS removed the Recovery Rebate Credit on Line 30 of your tax return.  This reduces your federal tax refund or increases the amount of federal taxes owed.

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

It sounds like you received the generic letter that is sent to anyone who has a mistake on their tax return.   The most common mistakes this year that cause you to get that letter are mistakes with the child tax credit or the recovery rebate credit.   So look at lines 28 and 30 of your Form 1040.   If you made a mistake when you were asked about the amount you received for advance child tax credit payments, or if you made a mistake when it asked if you received the 3rd stimulus payment of $1400 per person last year, that is why you got that letter.

TurboTax does not get any information from the IRS after you file your tax return, so no one at TT knows why your refund was less.

You have not mentioned any specific amounts.  Sometimes we can make an educated guess as to the reason for your reduced refund if you mention specific amounts--for example if your refund was short by $1400 per person---it is likely to be a mix up regarding the 3rd EIP payment.    If you received the 3rd stimulus check of $1400 per person in 2021 then you got letter 6475 from the IRS about it.   You needed to enter the amount you received.   If you already received that money then line 30 on your Form 1040 should have been blank.

If it is short by $1800 or  $1500 or  a multiple of that amount  ---   maybe a mixup regarding the advance child tax credit payments. If you received monthly child tax credit payments of $250 or $300 per month between July and December of 2021, then you got letter 6419 from the IRS, and you were required to enter the amount of the advance payments.   Only the remaining amount of the CTC should have been on line 28 of your Form 1040.

The IRS knows how much they sent to you for the 3rd stimulus check and they know how much they sent for advance child tax credit payments.   If you answered something incorrectly on your tax return then the IRS made a correction that resulted in a reduced refund for you. 

The IRS will send you a letter that explains why your refund was reduced.   Meanwhile it might help you to check  your own bank account for deposits of $1400 per person sometime after mid-March of 2021, or for deposits of $250 or $300 per child from July to December, and check your online IRS account.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-refunds/why-is-my-tax-refund-not-what-i-expected-49240/

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

Updated IRS FAQ about recovery rebate credit

https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-27.pdf

@BigBoy65 - I am a little confused.  First you state you received nothing from the IRS and then you state you received a letter.... which is it? 

please re-post and be VERY specific and copy exactly what the IRS letter states.  In most cases, their letter is somewhat general and lists a number of reasons your tax return may have been adjusted.

1) how much was the EXACT amount of the refund adjustment.  

2) what is on Line 28 of Form 1040?

3) what is on Line 30 of Form 1040? 

That will give me a clue to what is really happening

Jcha

I am so sorry to hear this happened.  

TT has messed up our taxes TWICE in 4 years.  They had a glitch that submitted false info re my state taxes and we were charged a fee.  I called and they helped me refile, but because it was from 2 years before we were charged over $200 in interest, which they did not pay, although they DID admit to their error.  I got nowhere trying to get it back.

Last year we were contacted by the state because of an error on NJ Taxation mistake.  I had taken the audit insurance (?) through TT and reached out to them.  They said they 'could not help me because I was not being AUDITED'.  I called over and over and got someone who told me to, 'throw out all the threatening mail as it is not real'.  I did not and hired a tax attorney.  They straightened it out as I provided all the paperwork I had not tossed and it was resolved.  I was not at fault, but the attorney cost us $800.  

I am so sorry this happened to you.  My advice:  Call a tax attorney and NEVER EVER USE TT AGAIN.  

richardeckler
Returning Member

This company appears pretty worthless in the responsibility department. I have a receipt showing I filed my 2020 return through TurboTax, now the IRS is saying they received no return. Naturally, the company is only contact-able if you want to spend more money - they have provided no means of correcting their errors, thus revealing they have NO INTENT to do so. I am warning everyone I know away from this company.

@richardeckler You say that you paid for filing a tax return---but paying your fee did not file the return.  Did you actually go all the way through to the big orange button that said "Transmit my returns" and e-file?  Does your TurboTax account show that the return was accepted, rejected, ready to mail or printed?  If it says anything other than "accepted" then it was not filed unless you put it in a mailbox yourself.   And...does the IRS say you did not file---or that you did not pay your tax due?  Your only proof that you paid your tax due is your own bank or credit card record.

If your 2020 return was in fact, not filed, you can still file it, but it must be filed by mail.  Print it, sign and date it in ink, and mail it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies