turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax says my taxes are accepted but the irs says processing. its been 20 days is that normal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

Turbo tax says my taxes are accepted but the irs says processing. its been 20 days is that normal?

Yes, it's very normal. The accepted in TurboTax will remain that way from here on out. That just lets you know the government received your return. There are no further updates to be provided to TurboTax. From this point forward, you'll check your status of your returns with the IRS and/or your state. 

Processing times can vary depending on how large of a backlog the government is working on. Once they are done processing the return, they will approve your refund and provide a deposit date (or check mailed date).

You can use the IRS Where's My Refund site for the latest status on your federal tax refund.

And you can use your State Department of Revenue's website to check status of state tax refund. Choose your state here How do I track my state refund? and it will give you steps to track the status.  

If you claimed Earned Income/Additional Child Tax credit on your return, the government held those returns until mid-February. And refunds from those returns will start releasing in late February. You can find more details on that here Avoid the Rush Track Tax Refund Online at IRS.gov

Thank you! I was just worried because i know a lot of others with eic or additional child credit and they got a date already for there direct deposit. I thought maybe i did something wrong. Usually it goes way quicker for me.

You are welcome! There is no need to worry. The IRS only just started updating those with EIC/ACTC with deposit dates this past weekend, so just keep an eye out for updates on Where's My Refund.
Will94

If turbo is giving me a date but irs website is process what does that mean

Did you get a letter from the IRS saying you needed to send in a copy of the childs birth certificate, SS and medical records before the process could continue ?

TurboTax says accepted. IRS says still being processed. I did not file last year however I always receive and never owe. It’s been over 40 days since filing. Why is it taking so long and is this the reason I haven’t received my stimulus either since my tax return is still processing and I haven’t done last year’s?

dnhenso1

It's been 23 days since submitting my taxes to fed and state. I owe on both and the money has not been withdrawn as of 8 May. I have both the "accepted" status on TurboTax and emails from both fed and state saying that my returns were accepted. The IRS web page does not show any info on my 2019 return and there is no one manning the phones. Turbo tax will not let you file electronically a 2nd time. I'm concerned that both state and fed are lost. Anyone have a suggestion on what to do next....

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It is not TurboTax that won't allow you to e-file a second return, it is the IRS that will reject if you attempt to e-file again. 

If you the acceptance notices for your federal and state returns, you do NOT need to do anything else - that is your proof that you have filed.   The due date for federal payments has been moved to 07/15, so I would not worry that the money has not been deducted from your account yet.   

My IRS Account - View Your Account Information  

@dnhenso1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mine was accepted February 23rd and I still haven't seen it. I can't contact the IRS because all the phones are off and I am in desperate need of my return I've waited 13 weeks and have no idea why they haven't come yet

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it has been taking longer with the stimulus payment being issued in addition to the tax refunds. 

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Also, be aware, the IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

perryT24

Turbo tax has been saying my return was accepted but every time I check the IRS2Go it says still processing. It’s been 2 weeks since it got accepted. Help??! 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax will not have a status on your refund. If the IRS website says processing, this means they are working on it. Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. Where's my refund?

Additional Information Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions

Vianca1994c
Returning Member

yeah mine was recieved feb 8th accepted feb12 and suppose to refunded to me yesterday and I never got a single dime of my refund and I refuse to except the fact that turbo tax charged 120 for turbo tax products not even so I could get my refund faster just so they could take money from me and I want a refund

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Vianca1994c Did you have your fees deducted from your refund? If so it can cause your refund to take a few extra days to deposit in your account. 

Once you file your return, you have used the product, which will not allow you to request a refund. The fees are for the use of the program to file your return, not to speed up the process. E-filing speeds it up faster than paper filing. 

If you need additional assistance, you can click here to contact customer support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies