Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The status on my tax return says "take action there has been a delay in your return. when calling use Reference number 1541." what does this mean

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

The status on my tax return says "take action there has been a delay in your return. when calling use Reference number 1541." what does this mean

1541 is an an internal code that the IRS uses to identify returns that have been "Delayed". This doesn't mean there is something wrong with your return, it could simply be that the IRS has an overflow of returns at this time and is behind schedule on issuing refunds. There are different reasons accounting for the 1541 reference number.

To be absolutely sure on the status of your refund, I would recommend to contact the IRS directly mention the reference the code 1541 to them. You can reach them at +1(800) 829-1040. Check 
Where's My Refund? as well tor tracking the refund. The IRS website updates every 24 hours, so I would keep checking it for an update.

If the below applies to you, this could likely be the reason:

If you claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2019, you’ll get your refund the week of February 27 at the earliest. The IRS states they will begin issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit on February 27, 2019.

According to the IRS on taxpayers claiming Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credithttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p2043en.pdf      

Claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit
If a taxpayer is claiming the EITC or the ACTC, they can file
their return any time after the filing season begins. However,
by law, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February for
tax returns that claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or
the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). Keep in mind that only
a small percentage of total filers will fall into this situation.
While the IRS will process taxpayer returns when they are
received, it cannot issue related refunds before mid-February.
The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be
available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards starting
on Feb 27, 2019, if they chose direct deposit and there are no
other issues with their tax return.

Some 2018 federal refunds will be delayed due to the PATH Act

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

1541 is an an internal code that the IRS uses to identify returns that have been "Delayed". This doesn't mean there is something wrong with your return, it could simply be that the IRS has an overflow of returns at this time and is behind schedule on issuing refunds. There are different reasons accounting for the 1541 reference number.

To be absolutely sure on the status of your refund, I would recommend to contact the IRS directly mention the reference the code 1541 to them. You can reach them at +1(800) 829-1040. Check 
Where's My Refund? as well tor tracking the refund. The IRS website updates every 24 hours, so I would keep checking it for an update.

If the below applies to you, this could likely be the reason:

If you claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2019, you’ll get your refund the week of February 27 at the earliest. The IRS states they will begin issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit on February 27, 2019.

According to the IRS on taxpayers claiming Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credithttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p2043en.pdf      

Claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit
If a taxpayer is claiming the EITC or the ACTC, they can file
their return any time after the filing season begins. However,
by law, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February for
tax returns that claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or
the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). Keep in mind that only
a small percentage of total filers will fall into this situation.
While the IRS will process taxpayer returns when they are
received, it cannot issue related refunds before mid-February.
The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be
available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards starting
on Feb 27, 2019, if they chose direct deposit and there are no
other issues with their tax return.

Some 2018 federal refunds will be delayed due to the PATH Act

What happened to the thread ?

I don't have a reference code on my IRS tax return status but it does say "Take Action" as my refund status. Does this mean they'll need more information and delay my return or does it simply mean they're just reviewing it..?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If it says Take Action, please click here to contact the IRS. The longer you wait to contact them the longer it will take to receive your refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GreenEle7

I submitted an amended return on March 7, 2020. I was made to verify my identity on May 17, 2020, which I found crazy as none of my information has changed and I've recieved stimulus checks. I only had to file a return for 2020 to claim the Recovery  rebate credit as my child did not recieve the $600 in December 2020. Today I checked the status of my amended return and it told me to Take Action! listed a phone number and extension 623. But no one ever answers. I always get a pre-recorded message stating "due to the topic I've selected no one is available to take your call. Please try again the next business day." I've been trying to contact someone for a couple of weeks now because this has already taken far too long. I can't correct an issue if I can't speak to someone. How do I get help resolving this? 

@GreenEle7  I submitted my amended return and it was accepted March 28th. This morning TAKE ACTION and the number with Ext 623 showed up, I believe because we are at that 16 week mark with no movement. I am able to view my transcripts online and can see there has been no movement at all. The only change in my amended return is the missing 1098T for my daughter which adds an additional refund amount. You may want to attempt your call beginning at 7 AM. I do not see that it will resolve anything at this point, though, because of the backlog. I believe that is the reason we are currently in limbo, especially if you've already gone through the identity verification process. During a typical filing season, it takes 6 to 9 weeks after verification to receive your refund and I believe today is exactly 9 weeks from May 17th and that may be the reason you are seeing the TAKE ACTION, simply that your return has gone beyond the typical timeframe and not that anything is specifically wrong. I wish you the best and sincerely hope that neither of us is waiting until September or later to hear something/receive our refund. 

First amended returns are taking 6 months or more to process again this year so don't expect anything to happen soon. 

Next, if you didn't wait for the original return to be fully processed before sending in an amended return this could be the cause of the delay.  Try calling the number on the IRS site as early in the day as possible and watch the mail because if the IRS really needs you to do something they mail you a notice. 

I filed an amended tax return for 2020.  The IRS shows they received it on 11-9-2021.  I have been checking the status online.  Yesterday I checked as normal only to see a take action message to call the phone number [phone number removed] ext 623.  I called six times yesterday, but no one was available and my call was ended.  I tried this morning at 7:13am as they don't open till 7:00am.  Got the same message, too high call volume, try back or check online, hung up on.  Really? 13 minutes after they open?  I am assuming that is the standard line since they are so far behind processing from 2020 and now they have new returns for 2021 coming in.  I am also assuming I got the notice because it is taking so long to process, but how do I know unless I can talk to a real person?  What is so frustrating is because of the message I  can no longer check the status of my amended return online.  Which was their recommendation!  Talk about a catch-22.  Do I keep beating my head against the wall trying to call them over and over again or just wait?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please review the post from Critter-3 above. If you have any questions, we recommend you contact the IRS. 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.  I guess I will try calling 12 minutes earlier at 7:01am tomorrow but I bet they will still be too busy to answer.

Can't talk to anyone if they won't talk my call.

I also submitted my amended return around the same time (March 4, 2022) and received the "Take Action" message at the 16-week mark. I'd already filed and received my initial return, but forgot to include additional W-2 info for a temp position due to its extremely late arrival. As instructed, I called the number provided and followed the instructions of the EXT. I made a total of 7-call attempts to reach an actual person and experienced either an abrupt disconnection, a transfer or placed on hold for over 30-minutes. I finally made a connection and was informed to disregard the message and not to refile. The young lady stated that processing was behind and may take up to 20-weeks instead, but was only able to provide an estimation. Also, unless stated, there were no other actions to be taken, aside of calling the 800-number and ext provided . However, in that very same sentence the Rep contradicted her statement by telling me that she was unable to actually pull up my tax information or provide any details related to, therefore, wasn't 100% sure as to whether or not I needed to take any form of action/s. To summarize: keep waiting and always check your status, email and bank accounts! If I/you're still waiting at 20-weeks, I plan to take additional action to find out where I am in the process. Hope this helps!!! 

only the IRS knows if you need to take action, Turbotax gets no info once accepted. the take action alert may have been due to theIRS receiving your original return which was missing the w-2. since you already submitted an amended return you may need to do nothing further.  even e-filed amended returns take a long to fully process because I believe that it needs manual review to be finalized.  the total time from submission to fully processed can take 6 months or more. be patient. 

can't say why the REP said that your info couldn't be pulled up. it could have been because their computer system was overloaded at the time.  The IRS computer system is outdated and attempts to modernize have failed.  you're lucky that you even got through on the phone because the IRS is getting more calls than the system and agents can handle. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies