Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doverby
Returning Member

Suspect Turbotax Premier error -- AGI requested for both individuals when filing jointly

Hi, we've been filing jointly for 34 years and e-filing since it first became available. The filing screens ask for AGI for both husband and me and there is only one AGI on the form. I entered the same amount for both of us as the system would not allow one to be blank. I've submitted e-file twice and gotten the same error -- AGI not correct. I'm pretty sure this is a bug. I don't want to mail this in. I want Premier fixed so I can e-file. Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Suspect Turbotax Premier error -- AGI requested for both individuals when filing jointly

SAME problem with TT Deluxe. What's up, Intuit???? I've double-checked everything. YES, confirmed as MFJ for both last year and this year. Even answered yes to question are you filing using same status as last year. BUG!!!

If you filed a joint return the previous year then the AGI is the same for each spouse.   It is on line 8b of your 2019 Form 1040.   When you are on the screens in the software to enter the AGI to e-file for 2020 you literally type the same number two times---once for each spouse---in order to e-file.   It is not a bug.  

However, if you filed 2019 late or amended, the IRS might not have your 2019 in the database to match up with your SSN's anyway, and you have to try using zero when that happens.   If neither the AGI nor zero will work to let you e-file then print, sign and mail your return.  

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

And make a note of your 2020 AGI which is on line 11 of your 2020 Form 1040---that is what you will need for each spouse when you want to e-file 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Uh, sorry, no.

First off:

TurboTax Deluxe--CD version with updates

Macintosh

I use the "forms" method and then do review and file through the interview.

History:

I've tried to file 3 times. For the first 2 tries I used the 2019 AGI brought over by TT on the "carryover worksheet" and inserted automatically by TT. Yes, it was the correct number. I went to my account on the IRS website and verified that they had it and that it was correct. It was correct. On the second go-round I even took the number out and re-entered it manually. Didn't help.

After looking online, the third time I tried the suggestion of putting in a zero for the spouse's AGI. The return is still rejected. Self-selected PINS are same as 2019 and are entered correctly.

Yes, filing status for 2019 and 2020 are both MFJ--double-checked online also. Shows as MFJ on the carryover worksheet.

Sorry, but this is a BUG. If the return is filed MFJ there is absolutely NO reason to ask for the spouse's AGI. The AGI applies to both and the program should properly ask for the joint AGI:  "What was Fred and Joyce's AGI for 2019?". When a program doesn't recognize one of its own  settings (in this case the filing status) and asks inappropriate questions, I think that qualifies as a BUG.

Now I get to print TONS of pages, try and get a refund for my state filing that didn't go through, figure out how much it's gonna' cost to mail them...  PITB. Grrrrrrrr. You'd think that 6 months after the initial filing date Intuit would have fixed this. But NO.....    Grrrrrrrrr.

No.  You should have entered 0 for both the AGI.   Even though the AGI shows up at the IRS they didn't process the returns in time for the AGI to get into the right IRS database to lookup.  

So you're saying "they have it but they don't have it"? The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing? And I can know that because...??? The program shouldn't be making me guess what it wants. All it says is "check the numbers". I did. The numbers are fine. If there are other issues, the program should say so and tell you what to try next: "If you are sure your AGI and self-select PINS are correct, the IRS may not have your return entered in the system yet. Try entering zero for the AGI entry (one? both? see below...) and see if the return is accepted."

Nonetheless, asking for a double AGI entry for a MFJ return is BAD programming.

Thanks for your reply.

RDL

What we are telling you and have had to tell LOTS of people is that the severely backlogged IRS did not get all the 2019 AGI's into the database that they use to match up to Social Security numbers.   So even if you see that AGI in a transcript it does not mean it went into the database they use to accept e-files.   That is why using zero could have worked instead.  Often when there is not a "match" in the IRS database you can e-file by using zero.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

"Nonetheless, asking for a double AGI entry for a MFJ return is BAD programming."

And what would you suggest for a couple filing a 2020 joint return if they filed Single or married filing separately the year before?  They do not have the same 2019 AGI's  to match up in the system.   That's why you enter it for each spouse.

Sorry. In my message I was VERY clear that the filing status for 2019 was MFJ, not MFS or something else. It's listed as MFJ on the IRS website. It's listed as MFJ on the carryover worksheet. It was MFJ for 2018. There have been no changes in filing status for 5 years! The program asks for the prior year's filing status before it asks you to enter the AGIs. If it knows that the filing was MFJ, it should not ask for both. Period. It's not using the information it already asked for and has in hand. BAD programming! Your examples are fine but not relevant to my situation.

Thanks for your help! I sincerely appreciate the assistance you kind folks provide.

If you paid for state e-filing with desktop software and had to mail the state return, contact customer support for a refund of the $25 state e-file fee.

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

Will do! Thanks for the advice!

RDL

Can I still try your "put in zeros" trick or is the e-filing deadline now passed and I'm stuck with paper?

RDL

The deadline to re-file a rejected return was October 20.   You can try---but don't get your hopes up.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Yup. I'm hip to all of that.

Thanks again for the assistance.

RDL

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies