Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return got accepted 3/18, still no update aside from “accepted.” But I did get a turbo tax email saying it’s been assessed several days ago, does that have any meaning?

Anybody else been waiting over 3 months for federal returns? Is this assessed email from turbo tax insinuating that the return may finally be processed and should be expecting a return soon? Called IRS a month ago and was told no flags or auditing was being done, just a long delay because of course the government is useless when it comes to respecting the actual tax payers who pay in 10x what they get back and apparently rather prioritize to help non tax payers etc.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Return got accepted 3/18, still no update aside from “accepted.” But I did get a turbo tax email saying it’s been assessed several days ago, does that have any meaning?

If you mean "accessed",

that means somebody ( maybe you, maybe not you ) used your username and  password to log in to your TurboTax account.

Aye, my apologies on the typo it was “accessed.” 

so has anybody else been experiencing delays (3+ months) as long as I am that isn’t aware of having any red flags that were raised or audits on their federal return? Or am I just that unlucky?

@robgray07 Millions of people are experiencing delays in receiving their refunds.   The IRS is severely backlogged for many reasons including the pandemic, stimulus checks, mid-season tax law changes and the upcoming advance monthly child tax credit payments they have to get ready for.

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  “21 days”  is not a promise from TurboTax or the IRS.   Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic.  The IRS is backlogged —-they are still trying to process millions of 2019 returns; they received millions of e-filed on the day they opened for 2020 returns, and now they are burdened with sending out another round of stimulus checks.   

Some delays are resulting from incorrect amounts that folks entered for stimulus checks they received.   Many people have been confused by the recovery rebate credit and completed it incorrectly.  The IRS may delay your refund while they cross-check to see what you received.  Some refunds are delayed because of the tax law changes that went into effect recently.   If your return has unemployment or the premium tax credit on it, that may be delaying it.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 34of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Appreciate the info, and I’ve been non stop checking the IRS APP etc. I understand that they have their hands full, it just bothers me that the IRS is claiming that “9/10 returns are refunded within 21 days.” My return was indeed accepted by both state and federal March 19th. I just feel that over 3 months is a little excessive. My main concern is just simply how much refund money i have incoming is stuck in limbo considering the current times, inflation rate increasing, cost of living is outrageous especially with 4 children, hours/OT still are cut, it would just be nice to even be able to get ahold of a human at the IRS to see what in the world is going on. (I got ahold of an IRS rep 3 weeks ago after a week or two of calling constantly, and was told by that rep no red flags or auditing was being done on my returns and they were simply just still processing.

When the epidemic hit my CPA who normally does my taxes (early 2020 my apt got cancelled and the office had closed) so I filed my 2019/2020 at the same time in March of this year. Due to that fact I’m awaiting roughly 15 thousand dollars for my federal refund, 8300 for the second stimulus check, and now apparently I also won’t be getting the July 15th-December advanced child tax credit $ either ($1150 a month) unless a miracle happens and it processes before the 28th. Close to 30 thousand dollars that I could desperately use due to the times, hours cut, layoffs etc, on top of having better conversation with a wall than any IRS representative. I find it extremely offensive that the crowd that doesn’t meet the threshold of income to file, or that has no income/tax input at all can simply just fill out one of their portal links and end up getting theirs, meanwhile us taxpayers are getting basically punished due to the unbelievably poor timing of their processing time.

I do have an honest question though and would appreciate any insight if possible; since my 19/20 taxes have not processed in the 3+ months since accepted, if I used the “non filers” portal link on the IRS’s website, would that work to end up getting these advanced upcoming checks/stimulus checks I never got? Or would it just end up causing a world of problems being that I indeed filed and am simply awaiting for them to be processed? 

Greatly appreciate all and any responses/information. Thank you. 

You filed 2019 and 2020 at the same time?  Did you print and mail 2019?  And 2020 was efiled and accepted?  You entered 0 for the AGI to efile since 2019 was late?  Just checking.

Yes I filed them both at the same time, and I’d have to double check on the 2019 AGI answer, a family member had did it for me on TurboTax. I just can’t find much information on any solution to get these incentives from the epidemic in a timely manner. It does say not to use the “non filers portal” if you’ve filed and isn’t processed....but aside from that I can’t find any information if my current situation would be an exception, or get ahold of any IRS representative in the last 10 days I’ve tried. I claimed all of my children the year before in 18, I don’t understand how they don’t have the information prior to 2019 to be sufficient enough to the minimum released the stimulus checks/upcoming advanced credits, they obviously have access to my recent W-2’s to know that I’m indeed a valid recipient. I’m just curious if I did use the non filers portal due to my somewhat unique situation if it would end up working or just causing more of a headache. If my returns don’t process by the 28th, which is slim to no chance of happening; I won’t receive the advanced child credits, which isn’t my biggest worry since I can just get the full thing next Tax season, but being that 23ish thousand dollars is already tied up in limbo with the IRS, I’d take anything I’m entitled too at this point. 

Ok ... your family member may have made a big error ... you had to MAIL in the signed paper copy of the 2019 return as it could not be efiled.   So did you ink sign and mail in the 2019 return ????     Or did this helpful family member  combine the 2019 info with the 2020 info and efile  one return using the current 2020 program ?  

The second stimulus payment required you to file a 2019 return timely.  Now that missing money goes on the 2020 return line 30 of the form 1040 ... look for it there.

And the third stimulus will be released when the IRS processes the 2020 return and there is no way to speed this process up.  

Now to the new CTC advance payment ... when the 2020 return is eventually processed the advance payments will start automatically although you may miss the first couple of months advance you will get them on the 2021 return instead.  

Appreciate your comment. I actually now do recall that I did have to sign some papers for the 2019 return, so that was paper filed. My 2020 was TurboTax. So when one of the returns finally does process — the advanced child credit checks will start coming along with the one of the stimulus check I should’ve received? (I made too much $ for one of them) 

Anyone have any experience or an estimate time for how long after their returns processed that they received their stimulus checks? And just to be completely up to speed on the new CTC checks — if I miss several beginning months they won’t roll those into the first one I receive? They’ll just add onto the other half of the credits on my 2021 tax return correct?

you need to wait and check back with IRS website "later in the summertime".

IRS hasn't made all facilities available yet.

Simply put ... the CTC will be part of the 2021 return where it will be "reconciled" like the stimulus payments were on the 2020 return  ....  meaning what you got in advance reduces the  credit on the return no matter how much you got. 

So if the credit is $3000 and you only got $1000 in advance you will get the remaining $2000 on the return ... yes it is just that simple.  

The third stimulus payment will also be reconciled on the 2021 return so if you did not get all of it in advance you get the portion you are eligible for on the 2021 return as a credit.  

I understand, I’ve done probably hours too much of reading the FAQ’s on the irs website lol. Just sucks that in a time of desperate need and the only time in my life time where I’ve actually even care enough to track/look up my return is this year. 

ultimately I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t allow everyone to use the non filers  portal to get at least their advanced CTC/stimulus’s on time at a bare minimum...especially those who’ve waited 3+ months past their “21 day average”  or refunds. So nobody has gotten frustrated enough of waiting to give it a shot and use the non filers tool in hopes to receive these benefits while their refunds are taking what feels like years to process? 

If you have already FILED a 2020  return you CANNOT use the NON filers portal ... it would reject. 

And last time they had the non filer's portal open thousands of folks who needed to actually file a return ultimately  had to MAIL in the real return and wait months and months for them to process... some are still waiting for the 2019 return to be completed.  So haste makes waste especially when trying to circumvent the rules.    

Next ... as to the advance CTC payments  ... worse thing is you miss one of the 6 advance payments and get it on the tax return instead.   If you are already eligible you should be getting a notice from the IRS telling you what is happening and if you have to add or remove a dependent then go online to do so here (parts are still not functioning) :  https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

The system is not perfect but the IRS is doing the best they can with the limited resources they have to complete the impossible task that CONGRESS put before them.   If you want to be mad at someone call your congress person to complain and get the IRS the budget, personnel and equipment they need to do the job.  If you did not know congress has been reducing the IRS budget every year for a decade and expecting them to do more with less which is absurd.   The IRS brings in the income to run the government so they have slowed down the income collections and increased spending ... does anyone else see the stupidity to this rational ?  

Again appreciate your time and response. I wouldn’t say that I’m mad, I’m just disappointed. I just feel that instead of all these laws with extra unrmployment, ebt bonuses, refunds on unemployment stuff, possibly a fourth check, that instead they should complete the task that in my opinion should come first on their agenda/list by processing the returns. I know everybody for the most part is struggling out there I get im not alone in this. I’m more just starting to nail bite due to the fact as we all know the bills just don’t stop coming in, and having roughly 25 thousand+ dollars being hung over your head after paying in 3 times that amount the past two years in taxes; I just feel that should be the bigger priority. I took a peak at my transcript and absolutely no movement has happened since 4/27, which I believe was the first stimulus check that was released. I could understand 2-3x the wait from what they’re saying the time frame is, but 6x+ is just a little excessive. Maybe if inflation wasn’t running so ramped and cost of living wasn’t continuously rising it could be a different story, at least for my situation. But at this point I’m starting to become concerned with potential future shut off notices, potential collections, (not worried about eviction etc but I’m sure plenty are) and I’m sure there’s people who are way worse off than me, and I pray they get theirs ASAP as well.

Just my thoughts I apologize for venting my frustration, and truly appreciate the insight throughout my post. I just hope that they can pull it together here sooner than later, because if a few more months passes by and I’m stuck in this same boat it could result in some extremely horrid times ahead. I just truly can’t comprehend why they couldn’t open a portal to allow those waiting excessive amounts of time beyond their 21 days - 6-8 weeks estimated time frame, so that we can at least get a slice of the pie that we are entitled too also, ultimately I honestly couldn’t care less about the stimulus checks and other government perks and help, I don’t qualify for majority anyways, I just simply want what I’m owed and rightfully paid into 😕 

I’m on 94th day since turbo Tx informed me my return was accepted by IRS. Where’s my refund say it’s still

• processing. I managed to get a real person about 3 weeks ago was put on hold she came back and said no issues with the return. She said they are extremely backlogged due to all other changes that they had to take care of and that that they had started processing returns again, it’s why it’s taking longer to get Refunds. And I haven’t received any letters from IRS. So the waiting game continues 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies