turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Manuel

Retrieve my 2017 tax return

I need to retrieve my 2017 tax returns.  I used Turbo Tax but not the online version.  My laptop crashed and they had to erase everything to get it to work again.  Is there another way to get it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
GabiU
Level 15

Oh no! Sorry you had to erase your computer. 

You can request a transcript through the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 
There will most likely be a fee. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jasper
Returning Member

I filed an extension and now want to complete it and I'm trying to print out my 2017 complete tax form and can't seem to do it.  I tried your link and I get a 404 error - guess it is no longer available.  I just need to get a copy of my return and extension papers so I can take to CPA! I need Help ..  Thanks  

GabiU
Level 15

Hello Jasper! Please clarify....are you needing to finish filing your 2017 taxes? or Do you need to print out your completed 2017 taxes? or both? Also, are you using TurboTax Desktop or TurboTax Online? Thanks. 

Jasper
Returning Member

OH Thanks for the quick response GabiU..  OK.  here is my dilemma.  I had to do an extension last years 2017, I have my info that I did do an extension.  But I didn't get a copy of what I had input.  I either forgot to ask for a printout or I have misplaced it.  I want to take this to a CPA because I don't know what to do - I still don't understand why TurboTax doesn't accept my input, but that is neither here nor there.  I just need to get it done, so I have to get my papers ready and I can't find my final paperwork that has all my info.  Can you understand what I am trying to say - explain, because I'm really not sure what I am doing!  (I know, you can tell.., smile) Thank you so very much  Oh, I am using desktop iMac 

GabiU
Level 15

Do you have a tax return to open in your TurboTax software? Whatever you entered in there should've saved within the product.

TurboTax isn't excepting your input? Please explain, screenshots help as well! 

Also, depending on the product you're using, you can call in for tax advice if you're feeling stumped. 

Jasper, please start a new thread so we're not bombarding Manuel above. : ) 

loakes

I filed an extention for 2017 and missed dead line, now want to copy and file by mail.

@loakes wrote:

I filed an extention for 2017 and missed dead line, now want to copy and file by mail.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2017 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

sharbax

I filed an extension for 2017 but can't get into it and forgot what i used as a sign in??? i have the email that stated my extension was granted from turbo tax why can't i find my taxes or finish them

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link for help with Retrieving Your Sign In to TurboTax

@sharbax

@sharbax 

For 2017?   You are way too late to get a refund for a 2017 return even if you had an extension from back then.  The extension only gave you until October 15, 2018.    Your refund has been forfeited.   If you owe tax due you still have to pay it with penalties and interest.   The only way to file that return is by mail.   You would have to print it, sign and date it in ink and mail it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

how do I do this to a new laptop

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

I see that your specific response is regarding your 2020 return. How did you file that return - using Turbo Tax Online or the desktop software? also are you using a PC or MAC? @Maiyabella.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies