turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejection Code IND-165-01

I keep getting the same rejection code of IND-165-01 when filing my return online. I have attempted to file 3 times so far and within a few minutes after filing I continue to get a rejection email. It is saying that form 8862 must be attached to my return and it is so I'm concerned this is a glitch especially since I continue to get rejected within a few minutes of filing. How can I either fix this or talk to a live persons about this? The exact message is posted below:

Form 8862 must be present in the return. The e-File database indicates the taxpayer must file Form 8862 to claim Child Tax Credit or Other Dependent Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit after dis allowance. Reject Code IND-165-01

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

38 Replies
BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

In order to e-file your return, you will need to add Form 8862: Information to Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance. Please follow these steps to add this form:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and click on "Fix My Return"
  2. Click on "Search" in the upper right-hand corner, type in "EIC" and then click on "Jump to EIC" link
  3. Continue through the Earned Income Credit section until you reach "Do any of these uncommon situations apply?"​​​​​​​
  4. On this screen, check the fourth box, "I got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit", and then select "Continue"
  5. Select "Done" on the Congrats, you get a tax break screen
  6. You'll now see the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check on a few things screen. Select "No," and then "Continue"
  7. Answer the questions about the Earned Income Credit
  8. When you come back to the Your tax breaks screen, select "Review" in the left menu
  9. Go through the Review section to find and correct any blank entries on the 8862. If you had to fix anything, run through the review again until there aren't any errors

Once you have completed the review without any errors, you are ready to e-file your return. Select "File" from the menu on the left-hand side and follow the instructions to refile your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This did not work I tried 4 times. I was able to see the form 8862 in the documents that were submitted however I kept getting the same rejection response. I filed through TaxSlayer website instead and it was accepted immediately. Seems like there might be an issue with TurboTax website/software.

I agree. I kept getting the same reject code Reject Code IND-165-01. Form 8862. I checked my returns and the form is attached. I upgraded to Turbo Tax Deluxe for $90 for an expert to review my return. Still rejected. I filed with another online service and I was accepted within 30 mins. I do believe Turbo Tax has a bug somewhere in their system and it needs to be corrected.. and I need a refund. 

This doesn't work! 

jackyliu

me too    so how do i do it

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact us to receive telephone support in regards to this particular error code.  

Why do we need to contact you? We already are through this forum. That's counter productive if you asked me clearly there's a lot of customers having the same issue. Post a solution that actually works because the one suggest above doesn't work!

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@rosmaily3 our telephone support agents have tools that can better assist with resolving the issue.

twee4357

yes only my code is different

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please use this link for assistance with correcting a rejected return: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return/01/26136#M105

Should you require further assistance, please consider contacting support:TurboTax Support Contact Us Page – Get Help from TurboTax

Vwfan2020

Im having the samw issue. When you filed thru someone else..did u have to use the 8862 form? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you need to enter your 8862, here is how you enter Form 8862. Here is more information regarding e-file rejection.

Yes. But it was accepted after the first submission. With Turbo Tax my taxes were rejected 9 times, even after I consulted a professional and upgraded their services.

I have been rejected 5 times now - also after upgrading and paying an additional $100 for "expert help" - nothing they have offered as a resolution is working. I am going to attempt to file with someone else, and I would like a refund as well. 

Manage cookies